43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 01, 2008, 16:46
Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
May 01, 2008, 09:24
I am with you on Kraftwerk and, as per above I would put Moroder and Larry Levan in the same pot.

Despite all indications to the contrary on this board, most of the innovative music from the last 25 years has been from the 'dance' 'scene' and hip hop rather than from guitar music.

We're still largely in an era of rock recycling itself with the hipper artists recycling the most obscure artefacts from earlier generations and / or putting a cynically post-modern spin on old crap.

Where is the truly adventurous rock and roll is to be found?

Not a clue but I've heard nothing made with guitars in the last 20 years that went anywhere close to going as far out out of the AABA structural box as Matmos or Boards of Canada or FSOL have been. These artists are rarely on my proverbial turntable as I can get all that I can get from them, and get it in spades, from Reich and Adams and Ligetti but I can see their importance and live in hope that rock and roll will at some point stop settling for drinking its own piss and get out a bit more.

Like jazz, it's a fantastic museum to explore but that's what rock and roll is now. Fully embraced as a mainstream art form and utterly flumoxed by its own lack of cultural relevance.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index