IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 01, 2008, 17:59
Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
May 01, 2008, 16:57
Yes I agree,

The situation with rock and roll reminds me of jazz around 1982 -

All the greats of the most creative era in the genre (1965 to 1978ish in rock) are on their last few rounds of the circuit before retirement and infirmity beckons (just as the jazz artists who were vibrant from the late 1940s to early 1970s were in the early 80s). Not many great records are getting made by that generation but they are still drawing the crowds.

Then there are contemporary artists who maybe once had the vision and chops to be boundary pushers to some degree but take the traditional route and are lovingly revisiting the past modes from that 'classic' era instead - for Wynton Marsalis read Black Crowes (who I love) and the likes of Oasis, Paul Weller and Govt Mule (who I don't).

Ground breaking artists seem to either move off into other genres for some breathing space, opt for ironic recreations of old sounds (Flaming Lips are a good example), or go into the Art Music realm (like Eno) or abscond from song based rock music altogether (Radiohead) leaving a void where the radical end of the mainstream should be and leaving the mainstream to the dull dull dull world of Muse and Coldplay. The Mars Volta are a notable exception but their recent shows were much less exploratory than in 2003.

Will we ever hear a mainstream song based rock record as soncially shocking as say Low or For Your Pleasure? Probably not. But hip hop and electronica seems to still throw out some interesting and commercially successful curve balls. As I say those genres are not really my cuppa tea but I respect the willingness to push the envelope.

As I think we've discussed ad nauseam the new Me'Shell and Erykah Badu records have taken their music to places rock and rollers seem incapable of going.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index