zphage
3378 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 19:12
Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
Apr 30, 2008, 19:09
IanB wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:
*Of* the last 20 years? I dread to think but it is probably a grouch-off between Radiohead and Nirvana. Without whom teenage bedrooms would be a brighter place and we would have been spared both Bush and Muse into the bargain.

If I was being playful I'd probably say that it is tie between King Diamond and Pete Waterman!

Taking the question literally- naming a band who were around, say, after 1985 and who have had the biggest influence on music since- I'd say The Pixies.
They were the, ahem, Ur-source (sorry Ian), for both Nirvana and Radiohead, and indeed most 90s alt-rock, and still seem to be inspiring new generations, even if they're getting the influence second or third hand.

I'm discounting the likes of The Cure and Joy Division as too early, but what about The Smiths? They still seem to be influencing not only fey English indie bands (and fey American indie bands- Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie), but the whole emo explosion too.

Jeff Buckley seems to have had an impact and influence well beyond his popularity in his lifetime, but he's not a band. We could also name any number of acid house, techno and drum n' bass pioneers who are probably more influential today than any given rock group.

The Melvins for stoner rock?

Oh, and REM. But that's such a boring conclusion to come too.

You are right about The Pixies. Never liked them much but yes a major influence along side Husker Du.

Though when you survey the whole scene over a quarter century I think the last 25 years have been more about electronics than guitars. However much my musical taste buds beg to differ.

I think music has become too fragmented to have any ONE major influence, there are producers, singers, songwriters, bands, etc.

A major influence nowadays would be someone who can bridge all genres.

The days of an Elvis, Beatles, or even Ramones, Pistols, Velvets, are gone.

We all have our niches, and our artists have theirs.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index