Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
Apr 30, 2008, 15:44
Is It

Massive Attack:
nontraditional musicians as soundscapists using reggae/hip hop/avant garde production techniques

But then Throbbing Gristle, Caberet Voltaire, Suicide

My Bloody Valentine
Sonic saturation built upon Sonic Youth/Branca

Sonic Youth
Sonic satuartion built upon Glenn Branca

Slint
1st post rockers

Pixies
continue the punk mantle

Nirvana
continue punk mantle with noise/metal or is Mudhoney, Green River, etc

Joy Division
huge influence now and on grunge bands

How about Siouxsie and Banshees plowed similar ground as JDivision?

Julian Cope
More influential now as writer and Urmetalist, then as a traditional melodicist

Actually there are a lot, I don't know if there ever is any ONE most influential at any given time.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 16:33
Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
Apr 30, 2008, 15:50
The artist who has been the most influential *on* the last 20-25 years of music making? Kraftwerk, Larry Levan or Giorgio Moroder depending on how you look at that line of influence.

*Of* the last 20 years? I dread to think but it is probably a grouch-off between Radiohead and Nirvana. Without whom teenage bedrooms would be a brighter place and we would have been spared both Bush and Muse into the bargain.

If I was being playful I'd probably say that it is tie between King Diamond and Pete Waterman!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 17:21
Nirvana or Metallica, maybe not a good influence but hugely influential, even if just as something to not be
You can go on saying so & so was influencd by so & so until you get back to prehistoric fellow saying look when i hit these sticks together it's something we havn't a word for.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 17:32
THE FALL
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 17:36
IanB wrote:
The artist who has been the most influential *on* the last 20-25 years of music making? Kraftwerk, Larry Levan or Giorgio Moroder depending on how you look at that line of influence.

*Of* the last 20 years? I dread to think but it is probably a grouch-off between Radiohead and Nirvana. Without whom teenage bedrooms would be a brighter place and we would have been spared both Bush and Muse into the bargain.

If I was being playful I'd probably say that it is tie between King Diamond and Pete Waterman!

Taking the question literally- naming a band who were around, say, after 1985 and who have had the biggest influence on music since- I'd say The Pixies.
They were the, ahem, Ur-source (sorry Ian), for both Nirvana and Radiohead, and indeed most 90s alt-rock, and still seem to be inspiring new generations, even if they're getting the influence second or third hand.

I'm discounting the likes of The Cure and Joy Division as too early, but what about The Smiths? They still seem to be influencing not only fey English indie bands (and fey American indie bands- Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie), but the whole emo explosion too.

Jeff Buckley seems to have had an impact and influence well beyond his popularity in his lifetime, but he's not a band. We could also name any number of acid house, techno and drum n' bass pioneers who are probably more influential today than any given rock group.

The Melvins for stoner rock?

Oh, and REM. But that's such a boring conclusion to come too.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 17:47
In some cases originators may not be most influential, it may take another band/performer to come along and have greter appeal, it seems.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 18:20
I think Talking Heads had a lot of influence on the scene..

• David Byrne made it OK to have a strangled, weird singing voice
• Intellectual, nonstandard topical lyrics mated to butt-wagging funky beats
• Adoption and integration of poly-rhythmic 'third world' sounds
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 18:52
What makes modern music particularly memorable for me is RIFFS. One reason Keef is a KING. But for me the modern era carrier of that torch is Josh Homme. His cataloge of tunes from Kyuss through the Queens of the stone age, as well as side projects are for me just a text book of 'How it's done'. I'm 46 now, and when i plug my Lester into my Plexi, it's Josh's stuff that i love to play GUITAR HERO to. Oh and KeeF's too!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 19:00
dodge one wrote:
What makes modern music particularly memorable for me is RIFFS. One reason Keef is a KING. But for me the modern era carrier of that torch is Josh Homme. His cataloge of tunes from Kyuss through the Queens of the stone age, as well as side projects are for me just a text book of 'How it's done'. I'm 46 now, and when i plug my Lester into my Plexi, it's Josh's stuff that i love to play GUITAR HERO to. Oh and KeeF's too!

Black Keys have got some awesome riffage.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 19:03
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:

Taking the question literally- naming a band who were around, say, after 1985 and who have had the biggest influence on music since- I'd say The Pixies.
They were the, ahem, Ur-source (sorry Ian), for both Nirvana and Radiohead, and indeed most 90s alt-rock, and still seem to be inspiring new generations, even if they're getting the influence second or third hand.

I'm discounting the likes of The Cure and Joy Division as too early, but what about The Smiths? They still seem to be influencing not only fey English indie bands (and fey American indie bands- Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie), but the whole emo explosion too.

Jeff Buckley seems to have had an impact and influence well beyond his popularity in his lifetime, but he's not a band. We could also name any number of acid house, techno and drum n' bass pioneers who are probably more influential today than any given rock group.

The Melvins for stoner rock?

Oh, and REM. But that's such a boring conclusion to come too.

You are right about The Pixies. Never liked them much but yes a major influence along side Husker Du.

Though when you survey the whole scene over a quarter century I think the last 25 years have been more about electronics than guitars. However much my musical taste buds beg to differ.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index