zphage
3378 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 19:12
Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
Apr 30, 2008, 19:09
IanB wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:
*Of* the last 20 years? I dread to think but it is probably a grouch-off between Radiohead and Nirvana. Without whom teenage bedrooms would be a brighter place and we would have been spared both Bush and Muse into the bargain.

If I was being playful I'd probably say that it is tie between King Diamond and Pete Waterman!

Taking the question literally- naming a band who were around, say, after 1985 and who have had the biggest influence on music since- I'd say The Pixies.
They were the, ahem, Ur-source (sorry Ian), for both Nirvana and Radiohead, and indeed most 90s alt-rock, and still seem to be inspiring new generations, even if they're getting the influence second or third hand.

I'm discounting the likes of The Cure and Joy Division as too early, but what about The Smiths? They still seem to be influencing not only fey English indie bands (and fey American indie bands- Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie), but the whole emo explosion too.

Jeff Buckley seems to have had an impact and influence well beyond his popularity in his lifetime, but he's not a band. We could also name any number of acid house, techno and drum n' bass pioneers who are probably more influential today than any given rock group.

The Melvins for stoner rock?

Oh, and REM. But that's such a boring conclusion to come too.

You are right about The Pixies. Never liked them much but yes a major influence along side Husker Du.

Though when you survey the whole scene over a quarter century I think the last 25 years have been more about electronics than guitars. However much my musical taste buds beg to differ.

I think music has become too fragmented to have any ONE major influence, there are producers, singers, songwriters, bands, etc.

A major influence nowadays would be someone who can bridge all genres.

The days of an Elvis, Beatles, or even Ramones, Pistols, Velvets, are gone.

We all have our niches, and our artists have theirs.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 20:01
Interestingly this is a question that none here can answer, as music over the last 20-25 years is not as important as it should be, as whoever had stewardship over the Golden Goose who laid the Golden Eggs sure scrambled them worthless.

massive attack who are they? I may have seen them on Jools Holland, so condemning them to singular unimportance.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 20:25
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Interestingly this is a question that none here can answer, as music over the last 20-25 years is not as important as it should be, as whoever had stewardship over the Golden Goose who laid the Golden Eggs sure scrambled them worthless.

Come on, elucidate.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 20:39
Apr 30, 2008, 20:27
Influential don't always mean good.
Therein the most influential band I think have been U2.
They inspred Coldplay, who in turn inspired droves of crappy wee (though mega selling) horrible stadium-whingers too countless to mention.

EDIT: And this lady influenced Goldfrapp for sure;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qze2RwY4owQ

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 21:13
Apr 30, 2008, 21:10
Kraftwerk! (The world may have finally caught up to them though, after 30+ years of being ahead of their time.)

Melvins (#1 in heavy rock)

Pavement (so many quirky indie rockers out there to this day! Of course there's more than a little of The Fall in their sound . . . )

Metallica (they've probably shifted the most units around the globe, took hardcore metal from niche to mainstream)

Michael Jackson (key influence on Britney, Justin, Backstreet Boys, etc. -- for better or worse, he is/was "the king of pop.")

Madonna too? ("girl power", "riot grrrrl" and all that plus dance music in general. Though William Orbit gets a lot of credit for that part.)

I don't see Radiohead as that big a deal, but I suppose U2 has a lot to answer for.

Hip-hop has obviously been huge for the last 25 years, but the trends there change so quickly there's no "one" most influential artist (LL Cool J has lasted longer than anyone else I suppose.)
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2008, 22:28
Apr 30, 2008, 22:26
Dog 3000 wrote:
Kraftwerk! (The world may have finally caught up to them though, after 30+ years of being ahead of their time.)

bloody obvious but sooooo true. I had all the old kraftwerk albums like autobahn, R & F and always thought they were years ahead for a 70s band. But only recently I got to hear Computer World for the first time and, your right, folks are only just catching up with them now
Mr Altres
Mr Altres
140 posts

Apr 30, 2008, 23:15
Kraftwerk

Of the next 25 years I hope it will be Popol Vuh, although it'll probably end up being Take That.

Brian
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

May 01, 2008, 00:02
zphage wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

Come on, elucidate.

OK, I have a theory back in primitive times when there was no hope of obtaining Fender Telecasters/stratocasters Gibson Les pauls.. young men were buying italian and german guitars, if their parents would sign up for the HP payments..if they were LUCKY...or you had to make your own from the Drawing Board that you nicked from school...its in total contrast from now when you can buy a servicable strat type guitar for less than 3 or 4 days wages...yet the quality of creativity then was inversely proportional to the quantity of gear that was simply not available. I feel that there was the Golden Goose of creativity that set markers in the ground and Magic was created. It seems that youth culture was a wholly communal affair and not so fragmented as it is now. There are so many musicians from the early 60's that went through this period of limited equpment, they are still at the top of their field...people like Albert Lee, page, Mclaughlin, possibly Davy Graham, Beck, Danny & Richard Thompson, Rod Argent NOosha Foxxx....

and so on. I feel guilty in having so many guitars!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

May 01, 2008, 00:05
Economics required people to be more creative,

all your classic bluesmen played junk guitars

Kinda like everyone now wanting a fancy kitchen in their home, but not really being much of a cook.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

May 01, 2008, 09:08
Most people would ssay it's The Beatles. Surely it's the Bootleg Beatles.

Without whom there wouldn't have been all these crappy tributes bands. Every town has at least one. Promoters and audiences alike can be lazy and not need to even stretch their expectation. Yet, can still claim to have been out for some 'live' entertainment - just without getting any cultural stimulation. Grrr...
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index