Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Most Influential Band of Last 20-25 years
May 01, 2008, 21:47
zphage wrote:

Kinda like everyone now wanting a fancy kitchen in their home, but not really being much of a cook.

Perfect analogy!
Tekpop
Tekpop
41 posts

May 01, 2008, 22:57
If influential is meant as shaping the way music has sounded over the past 20 years then NWA should be taken under consideration.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

May 01, 2008, 23:16
I must be a REEEeaallllly old fart, i own a record, 8-track,cassette,c-d collection nearing 6000 pieces and not 1 hip-hop or Kraftwerk item in there. If that's the 'Future' of good music, well......count me out.
vince
vince
1628 posts

May 02, 2008, 00:22
Sadly I'd have to say Stock Aitken & Waterman / PWL. As much as I despise everything they are/were/stood for they were the Grandfathers of this tawdry, disposable Pop Idol-esque BS that we've had rammed down out throats for the last 2 decades. Bastids.

On the plus side, they did give us Kylie :-)
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

May 02, 2008, 04:34
Don't you start shitting on Kraftwerk! They had a serious impact on most modern music. So did "groups" such as the sugar hill gang and black sabbath so just because your personal collection doesn't include something doesn't make it less significant it just means your collection is lacking...
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

May 02, 2008, 07:03
well, glad i'm not coming to the party at yr house ...
but kraftwerk didn't just have a huge impact on hiphop /// techno, electronica, dance music in general ... yeah, sure, that's easy ... but also a load of the more interesting rock + experimental music ... their early pre-electronic recs are big hits w/ weirdo underground types, at "kraut" as you like ... how wd someone like spacemen 3 sound w/out having heard 'em? oh yeah, coldplay ripped off one of their tunes too ... (bastards)
best kraftwerk record? "ralf + florian", easily ...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 02, 2008, 07:12
There's a track called downtown Lights on The Blue Nile's Hats lp that's almost a straight lift from one of the tracks on Man Machine. just thunk I'd bung that in.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited May 02, 2008, 07:18
May 02, 2008, 07:16
When I moved to Galway there was next to no outlet for original live music. Pub Landlords thought it would detract from the amount of drinking or at least be too much of a distraction.
Whereas cover bands would have music that punters were familiar with so were deemed permissable.
Took a couple of years to change but now there are several places that put on newer talent. Roisin Dubh puts on a lot of visiting acts.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

May 02, 2008, 12:37
You would be the only person that i've ever met at 'THE Party At my House' who could'nt find DAYS of music to listen to out of my collection.It encompasses everything that was good in the 20th century from WC Handy- Queens of the stone age. I'm seriously lacking because i'd rather listen to a band playing musical instruments rather than there lap-tops? O.K., you sure got me there. And i was gonna send ya an invite to our 4th of july party too. But just to show you that i'm a good sport, i'll pick up a 'Kraftwerk best of' for you to listen to if you and yours can make it here in N.Y. BUT... you gotta take that c.d. home with you{it's on me.}.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

May 02, 2008, 12:57
dodge one wrote:
because i'd rather listen to a band playing musical instruments rather than there lap-tops?

ah, squares said the same thing about rock'n'roll music - y'know, how elvis/beatles/hendrix/you-name-it is just a buncha noise + it'd be better if everyone listened to "real" music ... laptop music can be bloody boring, but, hey, so can "real" music.

anyway, you shd seriously check the 1st 3 kraftwerk LPs if you think they're all bleeps + beats ... they're even played on "real" instruments! The 1st one is even "ROCK" (kinda)

nah, i'm sure you throw a great party ... wdn't you even spin "walk this way"???
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index