Register
Unsung Forum »
Wife Kills Husband Over Springsteen

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Why I Like Springsteen, and you should too ;-)
Mar 15, 2008, 11:30
I will always have a soft spot for Springsteen. He was the first rock artist whose songs I really identified with, who I got passionately excited about, and who really made me think about songwriting and lyrics. This was when I was about 13, when 'Born in the USA' was everywhere, and from there I went back to 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' which remains my favourite. It's an absolutely classic album...

His debut LP is the other one that I still frequently listen to, and of course the stripped-down, Suicide-referencing 'Nebraska,' which is the antithesis of Born in the USA's stadium pomp (which I guess is what turns off a lot of people who might otherwise dig him as a tough, streetwise romantic rock n' roll singer songwriter in the lineage of Dylan, Dion, Van Morrison etc). Hell, Charles Shaar Murray even included him in his early (75) articles on American punk rock, and he co-wrote Because The Night for crissake. I don't see how you could love The Replacements, for instance, and not at least have a grudgig acknoweledgement for some of Springsteen's more ragged and desperate songwriting moments. I hid my Springsteen albums between the ages of 16 and 26, putting him behind me in favour of Sonic Youth, Pixies, MBV, Joy Division etc, but as I've turned 30 I've definitely reconnected with him again. I think I expressed my early passion for those albums best here:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/46364/threaded/579981

Not that I'm condoning murder or anything, of course...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index