"because she was tired of being BOSSED around" [my caps]

Very good...
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Wife Kills Husband Over Springsteen
Mar 13, 2008, 16:38
Looks like i'd be a goner too then!

"Who the hell does'nt like Springsteen"?

ERM......Moi.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 17:22
paradox wrote:

ERM......Moi.

I thought that quote was pretty funny too. Not the sort of thing to endear oneself to authority very easily, I'd imagine.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 19:41
I'm with ya Popel.

Mr bruce P. does fuck all for me!

Awful stuff!
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 21:03
I just don't get Springsteen. What is his appeal?
Rockabilly
Rockabilly
206 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 01:26
Must be an eighties thing then.
Argue over music I mean who does that!
My band is better than you band.
Sorry I am getting carried away I read the article still no excuse for murder.
WHY is everyone so angry now days
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 04:41
paradox wrote:

ERM......Moi.

I think of all the precious Video tape wasted by the miniscule budget of Old Grey Whistle Test, to feed Bob Harris's obsession with Milton Springsteen, when they could have been flying over Burnin' Red Ivanhoe; Miroslav Vitous, Kaipa, Terje Rypdal and the chasers, Back Door pension fund, Hairy Door, Jim Milne, National Health, Geronimo Black..instead we got fucking Milton Bloody Springsteen..Billy Joel.. and Duffo before they deported him
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2008, 07:06
Why I Like Springsteen, and you should too ;-)
Mar 15, 2008, 07:05
I like Springsteen, always have since someone played me Darkness On The Edge Of Town way back .He does that heroic small town boy in the big world thing perfectly, he has a certain amount of pathos, and has never been been overtly macho whilst still being able to project that pre punk greaser/rocker attitude.
He is also absolutely amazing live, about the only thing my wife and i agree on is the fact that Springsteen live is rather special
He has released some pretty average stuff, Born In The USA being top of that list, but try Nebraska, The Rising or Asbury Park and I'm sure you would find more hits than misses, if that Seeger Sessions thing on BBC3 is ever repeated give it a try, it is great fun
He is also it would seem a nice bloke with his head screwed on as far as I can see, he is a genuine working class boy made good
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Why I Like Springsteen, and you should too ;-)
Mar 15, 2008, 11:30
I will always have a soft spot for Springsteen. He was the first rock artist whose songs I really identified with, who I got passionately excited about, and who really made me think about songwriting and lyrics. This was when I was about 13, when 'Born in the USA' was everywhere, and from there I went back to 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' which remains my favourite. It's an absolutely classic album...

His debut LP is the other one that I still frequently listen to, and of course the stripped-down, Suicide-referencing 'Nebraska,' which is the antithesis of Born in the USA's stadium pomp (which I guess is what turns off a lot of people who might otherwise dig him as a tough, streetwise romantic rock n' roll singer songwriter in the lineage of Dylan, Dion, Van Morrison etc). Hell, Charles Shaar Murray even included him in his early (75) articles on American punk rock, and he co-wrote Because The Night for crissake. I don't see how you could love The Replacements, for instance, and not at least have a grudgig acknoweledgement for some of Springsteen's more ragged and desperate songwriting moments. I hid my Springsteen albums between the ages of 16 and 26, putting him behind me in favour of Sonic Youth, Pixies, MBV, Joy Division etc, but as I've turned 30 I've definitely reconnected with him again. I think I expressed my early passion for those albums best here:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/46364/threaded/579981

Not that I'm condoning murder or anything, of course...
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index