murgatroy
murgatroy
38 posts

Re: I Gotta Problem with this record...
Jul 06, 2007, 16:24
Carlos wrote:
And what about disc two, dude?

Played disc two this afternoon.

The opening track is quite a tender affair.I didn't hate it.

'Woden' has all the trademarks of an instantly recognisable Cope track.It didn't grab me by the poo poo, but it may be a grower.

'Sick Love' staggered along like a drunk at 3:00am in the morning.It had a nice wobbly unbalanced feel about it.

'Can't get you out of my country' kicks in immediately after 'Sick Love' ends.There seems to be little or no pauses between songs, and i'm sure this helps to create the wonderful contrast that i am feeling.Anyhoo, CGYOOMC proves to be much wiser than was originally feared.The title gave a lot of hh'ers cause for concern.Those fears are well and truly allayed.

'Vampire State Building' was quite a surprise.The sinister sounding opening made my ears prick up instantly.What followed was a slow mesh of vocals, fuzz, drums, guitars and noise.This was one my favourite moments of disc two.

'Hidden doorways' opens with a neat combo of drum machine and bassline.This feels like the most complete Cope song on the album.It has a memorable tune, and his singing voice is on top form.

' Shame Shame Shame' nearly fooled me into thinking i was about to hear 'Use Me'.It's a fairly standard Cope accoustic opening, but i was foolish to pre-judge the rest of the song.It burst into life around the 3 minute mark.I only wished the ending had been a bit more prolonged.

Overall -

1-Disc two has the better tunes
2-Disc one had the more interesting material
3-This is a relevant piece of the Cope jigsaw
4-I enjoyed it more than 'Citizen Cain'd'
5-It is a long way from 'Dark Orgasm'
6-There are too few moments that will inspire you to sing along.
7-There are enough interesting moments to warrant parting with your hard earned cash.
8-'Hidden Doorways' is still playing in my head.
9- Can i really stretch this to 10 points?
10 -Artistic impression 7/10
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index