I Gotta Problem with this record...

74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: I Gotta Problem with this record...
Jun 29, 2007, 11:45
Well, I have to say that i always (despite being frustrated with the last several) approach new Cope records with high expectations and finally they are met! Not what I was expecting, but that's good for a change. The only complaint I have is that a lot of the songs sound like demos and not 'keepers' but you end up with the great loose 'Autogeddon' style sloppy ambience, so I guess it's ok.
Did anyone else notice that cd1 seems to be somewhat professionally recorded whereas cd2 sounds like it was (and I bet really WAS) recorded at his house on a common computer? I used to record on a cheap shareware program called n-track and got a very similar quality. cd2 is all drum machine or drumless songs too, which supports my home recorded theory. I am not complaining, it just makes the record sound less cohesive.
Cd1 is my favorite...I love the opener, a classic. I love 'Sure to Foget Ya'" especially, amongst his best spoken vocals ever and the Bowie-esque ending was quite spectacular...really all of cd1 does it for me big time and now cd2 is, albeit slowly, growing on me. I'm sure in a few more days I will be able to properly place this in perspective, but I do know that it's the first record of his (excluding all side projects here) that I have really liked the majority of since Interpreter...and thank goodness...I knew he had it in him to be himself again and not just a good, classic rock emulator! Hurrah! I am soooo happy...Thanks, Julian!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index