Sgt Pepper must die!

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: Sgt Pepper must die!
Jun 15, 2007, 20:55
That article has made me see some albums I really like in a different light as it goes. It's true, I DON'T dig out my copy of 'Nevermind' and think 'I HAVE to listen to this now, it's fucking BRILLIANT!' I like 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' because it reminds me of some kick ass times in the 1990's when I was a pissed up student trying to dance without falling on my arse, but the rest of the album; well it ain't all that really is it? And it's true Kurt Cobain was a victim of his own hype and was guilty of an awful lot of 'naval gazing'. When he died, the bloke I was with at the time bought himself a T-shirt with a massive picture of Kurt Cobain on it holding a gun in his mouth bearing the legend 'Dead? Nevermind. Nice Shooting Son!' Now I still think that's in remarkably poor taste and I'm surprised he never got any death threats over it but there was something slightly Lady Dianaesque about Kurt Cobain's death and his subsequent canonisation; left me feeling uneasy...

The Stone Roses album; well I've got to admit I thought that with the excption of 'Made of Stone' it was the biggest heap of shite I'd ever heard, but in later years I mellowed towards the album and developed a crush on Mani so I now have a soft spot for that record and can't slate it too badly, although I did think what the chap said in that article was extremely funny!

'LA Woman' by the Doors; can't slate it too much meself as it contains one of my all time favourite tracks in the whole wide world ever, but yeah, thinking about it, the rest really ain't all that good, especially not when compared with some of the earlier albums. Much as I do love The Doors part of me thinks that yes, Jim Morrison WAS a bit of a drunken baffoon and I'm not sure he was quite the insightful poet he was made out to be. Credit where it's due though, The Doors did still make some fucking fine music when they were on form and regardless of the antics of their lead singer they're still one of my favourite bands.

I quite like Sgt Pepper but no, it's not the best Beatles album (my favourite is 'Revolver') and some of the stuff, though nicely melodic, isn't especially uplifting which, to be honest, I want my 'classic albums' to be!

Pet Sounds too is, at best, overrated. Don't hate it, don't love it, but like it well enough. Don't think it deserves slating, don't think it deserves adulation. It's just a relatively good album that just IS. The fact something has been well overhyped isn't enough to condemn it in my book.

Don't HATE Dark Side of the Moon either. Wouldn't mind it much at all if it weren't for knowing this was supposedly the same band responsible for 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' and even 'Wish you were Here'.

Good article though that; food for thought...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index