Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2007, 14:48
Sgt Pepper must die!
Jun 15, 2007, 12:57
The Stone Roses were an awful, awful band

I started reading this in the paper on the train this morning thinking it was gonna make me angry but I ended up sympathetic to virtually every word, and Astral Weeks and Raw Power aren’t there so it’s OK.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Sgt Pepper must die!
Jun 15, 2007, 13:09
Let's share our own nominations for this - here's mine.....

Moondance - Van Morrison

What gets me more than the anodyne songwriting, conservative arrangements and the voice that sounds like the creaking door of my shed is Van The Man's total immersion in his own self-importance.

I've only heard this album recently - it is with deep regret that I will never be able to reclaim that three quarters of an hour (approx) of my life back again.

It endorses a complete lack of feeling - an album to put on at low volume in the background whilst you're entertaining the Ponsonby-Smythes from across the street, daintily munching on vol-au-vents and completing your Countryside Alliance forms.

There is really no need for this album - there are enough tea coasters on this planet.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 13:13
Yeah, i thought the same. Agree about Pink Floyd, Nirvana, The Doors and Stone Roses, but how someone out of the Kooks can criticize anyone or anything is beyond me.

x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2007, 13:37
Jun 15, 2007, 13:36
Billy Childish wrote:
It's too dark and twisted for anyone with any light in their life.

Are we listening to the same record? You make it almost sound good.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2007, 15:59
Jun 15, 2007, 15:58
Great reading and giving many on my own shitlist a fair and honest beating

Pet Sounds, Stone Roses, Neon Bible, Sgt Pepper, Is This It and LA Woman ... stinkers one and all. Oh and of course the crowning turd in the dog basket, Meat Is Murder!

however i do take offence at a terminal bore like Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips having the nerve to slag anyone else off with his track record of shithawks
earthlingdave
earthlingdave
285 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 17:17
i agree with all the selections even the banana lp, i think the best velvets lp was white light white heat .

if theres one thing im proud of its the fact ive never heard dark side of the moon . i just know it wouldda made syds skin crawl

top article though , my own nomination would be anarchy in the uk

best thing lydon ever did was PIL . now thatwas genius!!!!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2007, 17:58
Jun 15, 2007, 17:57
I admit, I love "hater reviews" of sacred cows. There used to be this funny blog called "I Hate Music" on a similar theme . . .

I think the guys dissing Captain B and Television are just dickheads though (no surprise, I can't stand their bands -- New Order is dull unfunky disco for the trench coat crowd, no wonder he "doesn't understand jazz.")

I nominate the Rolling Stones' "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed" and "Aftermath" for the bonfire! I think "Satanic" and "Exile" are their only two albums I ever need to hear again. Most over rated band ever, ever, EVER.

And Derek & Dominoes "Layla" (twice as long and therefore twice as boring as a Clapton solo LP!)
Earl Mallard
Earl Mallard
555 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 18:02
Can I just stick up for Sgt. Pepper...and The Beatles. It's must be the most slated classic album ever.

If you don't the fab four then you don't like music.

I think all these albums have the odd duff track. Especially 'Pet Sounds'. I cannot express how much I hate 'Sloop John B'.

The main problem is, the lists hype these albums so much you expect to hear something preposterously brilliant.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 18:30
Earl Mallard wrote:

If you don't the fab four then you don't like music.

damn it. up until today i thought i loved music. thanks for letting me know i don't Earl

its gonna save me a lot of extra cash
MC
638 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 19:27
Have to agree - been slimming down my cd collection and Troutmask / Marqee Moon just have to go. I've tried to like them over the years but have never managed to get through the albums in one listening.

Banana album and Stone Roses will always be great - love European son and Black Angel Death Song.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index