Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Sgt Pepper must die!
Jun 17, 2007, 12:30
coldrumhead wrote:

shanshee_allures wrote:

Earl Mallard wrote:

I'm sure you will continue to love music.

I just don't understand how people can hate The Beatles.

Even although I gave into them reticently, there is something about them still I don't care for much, and that's just how 'complete' and 'rounded' their music is. Sure it alludes to having some rough edges at times, but it's still awfully wrapped up. The vocals never stray, they're extremely attentive, and I've never cared for that much.
I like hearing much of what they've done if someone else puts them on, but I rarely choose to play them.
I don't understand why anyone hates any of the music I like (I'm sure we're all the same), but if they know why they do, that's all that matters IMO.
x

I am not a huge Beatles fan.The Beatles White Album has its moments though...

I dig the erratic nature of it, even tho that too's been touched by legend, in the most dreadful way of course.
The White Album is probably the one I'd say I prefer too.
x
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jun 17, 2007, 13:11
That's what I was thinking as I read that. The review is right, but I'd have used all those arguments to support its status, not trash it.

I totally agree with the Marquee Moon comments. Prog-rock by the back door. Horrible, slick, bloated 'New Wave'. Yuk.

The choice of 'Meat Is Murder' is a bit odd. No one who likes the Smiths claims it as a stone classic, or regards it as The Smiths finest moment, and it's not one that ever appears in 'Best Ever Album' lists anyway, so it's a bit of a cheap shot compared to the other choices up there. A slating of 'The Queen Is Dead' would be a far more interesting read.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Re: Sgt Pepper must die-by means of a sponge and a rusty spanner!
Jun 17, 2007, 13:19
Lord Lucan wrote:
That's what I was thinking as I read that. The review is right, but I'd have used all those arguments to support its status, not trash it.

I totally agree with the Marquee Moon comments. Prog-rock by the back door. Horrible, slick, bloated 'New Wave'. Yuk.

The choice of 'Meat Is Murder' is a bit odd. No one who likes the Smiths claims it as a stone classic, or regards it as The Smiths finest moment, and it's not one that ever appears in 'Best Ever Album' lists anyway, so it's a bit of a cheap shot compared to the other choices up there. A slating of 'The Queen Is Dead' would be a far more interesting read.

The reaper is deffo due a review of the Queen is dead.I think that Meat is Murder has its moments even though it took a tatooed boy from Birkenhead to really hip me..
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 17, 2007, 13:34
Thought the Marquee Moon / prog bit was bollocks personally. I'm really not terribly fond of prog (Gentle Giant apart!), but I love it. It might have one foot in pre-punk gtr music, and one foot in the NY scene, but ultimately I don't think it belongs to any particular genre. It just exists as a great album in itself - like any great record should, I guess.

(Bought the re-mastered version a couple of years back, and although I'm not the hi-fi type by any means, it really does sound fab. )

Know what you're saying re MIM, as you say TQID is generally accepted as the classic. But, being the contrary type, I've always preferred MIM meself. Sure there's nothing on it as great as I Know It's Over (or the the title track for that matter), but neither is there anything as bad as Cemetry Gates (which is, along with Paint A Vulgar Picture, my least fave Moz/Marr composition). I just think that MIM is a better all round LP.
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Jun 17, 2007, 14:03
While engaging to read, don't you think this list slagging off lists is a bit hypocritical? I mean, the central theme to that whole article and all the different sections therein is how ridiculous and annoying these lists (that present opinions as 'fact' on a subject that IS subjective!) are and how sick we all are of having these same records shoved down our throats by hype-crazy scribes.....but to illustrate this we are given....yup, just another list presenting opinions as facts, shoving people's thoughts down our throats!!! I can't fucking see the difference! That's like saying, 'You know what? I hate violence...and I'm gonna beat the fuck out of you until you hate it too.'
Bottom line: music is subjective. While I will give my opinion on music from time to time I always remember to note to myself and others that there is no good or bad or wrong or right. I mean, if someone tells me that Boyzone's first record is the best album of all time, they are right. For them, it is. Your favorite cd might be my favorite coaster and vice-versa. That's the subjective nature of personal taste and no matter how much pontificating is done, no matter how many words are typed, spoken, wasted you just cannot turn your opinions into facts, through the use of numbered lists, sheer force of personality, voodoo or any other fucking method! So, rejoice! You are right! Your favorite album of all time IS the best album ever, shit, your whole top 50 is in perfect order, you are absolutely one hundred percent RIGHT!

Just for you, though.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 08:54
Okey-dokey!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 10:29
It's just a bit of fun!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/400/keithbarretshow.jpg
oxford stu
oxford stu
402 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 12:26
Forgive my high-jacking of your thread but i've just read the music and film section from fridays paper and i thought this piece
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,2102922,00.html
summed up perfectly what it's like going to see live music and just wanted to share it. Not a stripes fan but it applies to your own fav band as much.

as for the article, it's not so much the album but the hyp thats created around it surely.
As for peter hook and tmr, i'd much rather have that then any new order.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 12:52
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to review loadsastuff, old and new - but I've always taken the option to think, whether I like the album or not, I hope that what I have written is interesting enough for people to go out and get to hear whatever it is themselves and to see what they think of it.

There are, however, too many reviewers and various media types out there who are cocooned in their little bubble.

One example I distinctly remember was Nicky Campbell on Radio 1, in the days leading up to Diana's funeral. He played a sombre track dedicated to her introducing it with - "This is how the nation is feeling - this is how you're feeling".

It certainly wasn't my thoughts at the time.....
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 13:31
...personally can't understand the velvets choice. The guardian does feature a lot of shit - like the pathetic smug piece of journalism about Alex Higgins in the weekend saturday mag.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index