Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Jehovahkill Deluxe - Anyone else with a dodgy disc 1?
This topic is locked

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: Jehovahkill Deluxe - Anyone else with a dodgy disc 1?
Nov 10, 2006, 15:40
mercian wrote:
mine are the same numbers as yours. Its a bit hissy but bearable.

Certainly bearable. I wouldn't say the sound is 'rubbish' or 'dreadful'. Just not *quite* as good as the original.
Would I have noticed if I hadn't read this thread? Dunno.
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2006, 15:44
Nov 10, 2006, 15:42
If you use an audio editor to increase the amplitude of the original CD to match (or even exceed) that of the deluxe CD, you will hear that the DELUXE CD is noisy, whereas the original isn't.

So, the problem is not a matter of a louder mastering "revealing the limitations of the source audio".

On the DELUXE CDs, the crackle hasn't been exposed; it has been added. This is clearly an ERROR in the production, not a side effect of making the CDs louder.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2006, 15:51
Nov 10, 2006, 15:50
ah right, I was guessing the same as copius freakus on the additional noise score. I really, really, don't want to buy a copy to fully investigate. Still, added noise is seriously weird, as in unlikely, unless its some kinda odd anti-aliasing noise kak that some filters can produce, would have to hear the original master JC sent them tbh. Maybe in the original release that stuff was filtered out from the master, impossible to say though really. ANYWAY, I want to see CD numbers from the *alleged* good copies of this release.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 15:54
Wouldn't over-normalising have the effect of adding noise? When the audio starts to peak, wouldn't the signal distort, which would (as one effect) produce hiss and crackle which was not previously present? I sometimes get a similar effect when I feed a signal that is too hot into my soundcard.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 16:20
A good point Squid, maybe, depends on the normalising algorithim in play, but yep, it can add noise.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 16:23
You'd have to be a bit careless with the normalising process though, maybe not testing the peaks before applying it.
bluntlaser
64 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 17:48
Could someone confirm that there are some decent copies around?
I'm beginning to doubt it!

Another odd thing, a friend of mine put cd1 in hid dvd/cd player and it recognised the disc as a dolby 5.1 disc. Probably unrelated, my friend is probably insane but a bit odd. Maybe it has been mastered as a surround sound disc!? Unlikely i know!
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 18:11
I don't think it's normalizing either. Normalizing is effectively amplifying (increasing the amplitude) so that the peaks hit a specific level.

I "normalized" the original tracks by increasing their amplitude until they were even louder than the deluxe version. Even though the original tracks were louder, they didn't have any crackling noise.

I just zoomed in on the same bit of audio in each version, and normalized it to the same amount. I can see the individual samples. The curves look the same. I have no idea where the noise is, or how it would look. The deluxe and (normalized) original look the same to my eyes, even though the deluxe has lots of crackle. Is anyone here a real audio engineer? I'm just a hobbyist, and feel like I'm getting in over my head.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 18:28
My copy sounds fine
No probs or complaints
architeuthis
architeuthis
93 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 19:14
I guess you and Common Era are the only ones with proper copies then. Amazon UK is sending me a replacement for free; I'll see what that one sounds like.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index