Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Jehovahkill Deluxe - Anyone else with a dodgy disc 1?
This topic is locked

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Jehovahkill Deluxe - Anyone else with a dodgy disc 1?
Nov 06, 2006, 15:04
If it's that the loud notes sound crackly, it could be that the CD has been "over normalised" i.e. been mastered so that the peaks are hitting 0dBFS on it (the maximum possible volume level on a CD) which makes them crackle on some systems and not on others. Not sure as I don't have a copy of the new version yet, but someone could load it into Spark or something and have a look.
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 15:06
It's definately overdriven.

It reminds me of the bad mixes I used to make whilst mastering my home recordings to CD and not paying enough attention to the meters.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 15:11
Have you tried it on a different CD player? If the peaks aren't actually cropped and they're just hitting the maximum end of the scale then playing it on a different deck may help. Either that or load it into the mastering application of your choice and burn a copy half a dB quieter.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 15:21
HMV website is selling it for £12.99. My copy's fine!
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2006, 02:36
Nov 10, 2006, 02:26
Mine's crackly and hissy. I was shocked by the amount of hiss in the beginning of "Soul Desert". I flipped through the other songs and have crackle on every track, even if the music is not turned up. It sounds horrible.
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2006, 03:18
Nov 10, 2006, 02:57
I just ripped the original and deluxe versions of "Slow Rider" to a WAV file. I then opened both versions in an audio editor (CoolEdit). Here's what I found:

The DELUXE version looks like it was normalized to 100%. It maxes out repeatedly. The ORIGINAL version never even gets close to maxing out.

The DELUXE version sounds much louder than the ORIGINAL version. The DELUXE version has more hiss and crackle.

When I increase the volume on the ORIGINAL version so that it matches (and even exceeds) that of the DELUXE, I still don't hear any hiss or crackle. I boosted the ORIGINAL wav by 10 db and it still sounds better than the horribly crackling DELUXE version.

The DELUXE version's crackling happens even when the amplitude is not maxed out.

The DELUXE version sounds horrible on both my stereo and my computer. I know it's not just a matter of amplitude and systems' ability to handle peaks.

Beyond a doubt, the mastering job on the DELUXE is downright horrible, at least on my copy. Something went fundamentally wrong in the mastering (or manufacturing) process.

How can we get decent versions of these CDs?

What are our next steps?
spaceman75
5 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 06:00
the thing is, you cannot even sell it on ebay in a horrible condition like that !
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 09:16
Return it to the place you bought it from. If it's maxing out, that would suggest a problem with a batch at the manufacturing stage as it's only a certain number that this is the case for. (And, we've been assured that nothing was done to fuck with the original disc. And, more pointedly, contrary though Cope can be why would he deliberately do that?)
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2006, 10:52
Nov 10, 2006, 10:44
It does sound like something very kak has happened, really need some1 to do the comparison you have with one of the discs that people say they have that isn't dodgy. It er.. doesn't make sense. Only guessing, but they would have made a few glass masters, and it's beyond weird that they made them at different times, and therefore possibly in different ways (as in whacking some boost/compression on the signal path at cutting different to the 'good' versions). It's not impossible of course, but it is really weird considering how dull and automated the process of making the glass masters usually is.

Edit : Maybe post and contrast the master numbers on the CD surface round da hole, thats if they're there ?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Nov 10, 2006, 10:53
I was thinking along those lines. From the description of the dodgy CDs (I haven't heard this yet), it does sound to me as though the normalisation was overdone during the mastering process, leading to distortion due to overload/peaking. I've done the same thing myself in the past. What amazes me, however, is how the heck this got past the test pressing stage without anyone noticing.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index