Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Hawkwind Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe Ed
Oct 02, 2005, 23:35
Great review Seth Man (as usual)

I think that for us CD peeps the following 2003 ish remaster is the one to get
Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe Edition. CD Box Set(Cleopatra - CLP1239)

The set can also be found very cheaply as Hawkwind - The Masters which i assume is not remastered
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Hawkwind Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe
Oct 03, 2005, 00:07
Hopefully someone can check and verify the quality on this. It's on Cleopatra, which I know that many of us realize doesn't have the greatest track record with audio quality, etc...
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Oct 03, 2005, 00:23
Easily the best Hawkwind item since the multi fold digi paks from a EMI a few years back, this great CD documents the whole 1972 Brixton show in it's entirety, capturing the final night of the tour (from which some of the Space Ritual album was lifted) and all it's manic glory. The set includes some lavish packaging with a four fold digi-pak with unpublished 1972 photos on a fold out poster, a full colour ritual poster and a black & silver clam shell box. Over 63 minutes of digitally remastered brain damage with great sound quality.

£15 at the freak emporium
Lugia
970 posts

Oct 03, 2005, 00:53
oooooo...so it's not simply one of Cleo's slapdash repackage jobs, but the real deal, then? An _entire_ Space Ritual tour gig? With quality remastering, yet?

Sounds like something that should be classified as a Schedule I Controlled Substance! Now to find a US source for it...
The Seth Man
1241 posts

Hawkwind: Space Ritual Sundown V.2
Oct 04, 2005, 03:36
Hey, thanks for the kind words, Shrimp

And some info for you, Lugia -- The version I have is on Purple Pyramid, a subsidiary of Cleopatra... and the description of Cleopatra packaging on Freak Emporium matches Purple Pyramid's to a T

I copped mine at a Virgin Meggadeath, a musician friend of mine picked it up at a Barnes & Noble

I've also seen it in Tower, a local non-chain retailer so it's availability seems fairly widespread at the moment

Seems to be limited edition to some degree, so I'd recommend jumping on it as soon as you can, because the quality really is stunning
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Re: Nice one Seth Man and Shrimp
Oct 04, 2005, 04:08
Loved the review, I'm dribbling at the prospect of this already. Cheers for the tips on where to get a copy. ( One less at the Freak Emporium now ).

Cheers dudes.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: Hawkwind Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe Ed
Oct 04, 2005, 18:28
The Masters set which looks the same to me is going for about £2.69 used and new at amazon uk!

great stuff no matter what
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Oct 05, 2005, 04:04
Doh, Hawkwind releases really are a minefield.
Think I might have this already as Codename Hawkwind Year 2000 vol.1 released on Burning Airlines which I picked up for £4 in Selectadisc.
States it's a recording of the Brixton Sundown gig 30/12/72. Track listings the same, brilliant performance, sound's excellent too, the odd edit is peculiar ( at the start of Sonic Attack the ' In case of ' is missing )

Still I'm a sucka for a lavish package if you'll forgive the double entendre.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Oct 05, 2005, 13:40
yep thats it and in remastered guise
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Oct 05, 2005, 13:47
you can also find it as part of the Welcome to the Future [Box] set