Re: Hawkwind Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe Ed
Oct 05, 2005, 13:48
so confusin i thought id tell you about it twice
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Oct 05, 2005, 18:24
I used to have a couple of tracks like Silvermachine but I am not generally familiar with the Hawkwind thing. Is this the best place to start?
minoubee
7 posts

Re: Hawkwind Space Ritual Sundown Deluxe
Oct 05, 2005, 22:39
listen to hawkwind they are great. try doremi far so latido, space ritual, quark strangeness and charm, also try some of Alan Davey's later stuff with Bedouin, also Harvey Bainbridge is great with or without Hawkwind, watch stonehenge video 1985 too if u can happy discovery XXX
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 01:59
Thanks doubley.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Sorry. Still slightly confused
Oct 06, 2005, 12:48
So what have I got then? Space Ritual EMI 2001 double CD. Says on the back Live at Liverpool Stadium and Brixton Sundown but of the bonus tracks Master of the Universe and Born to Go are from the Greasy Truckers Party at the Roundhouse LP (“This ones for the miners, It’ll probably sound alot like a mining disaster, We have disasters up here every week” etc).

On another subject I don’t know if any of you Hawkwind fans can help me on this one but I have a muddy memory of going to see a “musical” of Bob Calverts Capt Lockheed and the Starfighters at a theatre on the Kings Road, Chelsea where the Rocky Horror thing ran for years. It must have been 74/75 ish and I think Viv Stanshall was involved and possibly Arthur Brown. The Hawkwind fan sites I’ve searched say a musical was planned but never happened but I do remember being in an audience with Robert Calvert dressed as a fighter pilot and overacting.

One that definitely happened was May 73 at Wembley Empire Pool, a benefit for IT with Hawkwind, Magic Michael, Deke Leonards Iceberg, Fruup, Sutherland Bros & Quiver and Danny & the Racing Cars who, when they emerged from behind a wall of Hells Angels, turned out to be the Pink Fairies. Neat!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

There's 2 different "Space Ritual"s
Oct 06, 2005, 13:11
Valve,

What you have is the 2CD "Space Ritual" re-ish on EMI

"Space Ritual Sundown V.2" is a single disc, with the same Brixton gig unmixed and in far better sound quality

Calvert did a performance of "Captain Lockheed"?!
Now I'm totally intrigued; I always got the story that before the tour got underway, it was scrapped due to Calvert's hassles with his management and was subsequently packed off to an institution before it got off the ground

You were at the Wembley gig?!
Fuck, Valve but THAT must have been great
(PS: Do you remember Calvert hitting Lemmy with a sword onstage at this gig?)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: Sorry. Still slightly confused
Oct 06, 2005, 13:49
What is really interesting is that whilst the double remastered Space Ritual has over the years received many rave reviews and is in itself excellent that it is in fact not really the true live experience as shown from v2 of the brixton tracks which are shown largely unedited, longer, minus new vocals and synth doodlings as seths review of v2 rightly states

So therefore it might be less confusing to think of Space Ritual as being a an excellent live album and then v2 as a separate album in its own right which to me is even better even though the base recordings are from the same brixton show

Confused!
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 13:56
check out The Book Of Seth under Unsung and you will see a number of Hawkwind reviews which should wet ur appertite
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Sorry. Still slightly confused
Oct 06, 2005, 14:00
right - found the doisc on various pages, I think. These ARE all the same one arent they (the ones on cleopatra/import/thunderbolt)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-5099359-6995017
http://www.101cd.com/music/info.asp?id=6144536

which one should I buy then?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index