May Druidon

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: where's yer ideals
May 03, 2005, 23:12
Perhaps the fact that Greens are only standing in 25% of seats might have something to do with it.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

May 03, 2005, 23:18
If you read what people are saying I think you'll find most people here aren't voting Labour. Those that are in marginal constituencies are trying to make sure the Tory doesn't get in. Anyone voting Labour is pretty much doing it whilst holding their nose. I have the luxury of voting green here, because it's such a safe Labour seat no-one else will get in, and they SEEM to tally most with how I think myself, so I'll be joining you. But please don't throw mud at people who are just trying to make sure the Tories don't win this bloody thing. And don't worry, Blair will get a kicking. In fact he already has. I reckon he'll be out of No10 within a year if he wins.
alan lake soon
349 posts

May 03, 2005, 23:44
i don't think the Tories CAN win. But I do think NuLab want us to THINK the Tories can win, so we'll keep on voting NuLab. And I think the Guardian is doing NuLab's bidding by headlining how close it is.

I'm Really not sure how much worse the Tories would be: economically Lab are Thatcherite (or benefitting from Thatcher's policies), they are privatising the public sector (NHS, education) in ways the Tories didn't dare, assualting civil liberties (asbos, taking away right to trial by jury, anti-terror legislation), locking loads of people up, playing tough on immigration, going to war (nearly forgot)...

I do wonder if our dread of the Tories (and yes Howard is a monster) isn't letting NuLab go on just like they want. I know it's easy for me to say (straight, white male, job), but what I want is some return to left-wing principle...and we won't get it if this lot think they've got a mandate to carry on being Thatcher in disguise. Which is sort of making a case for there needing to be some kind of rupture...which might mean a Tory success if that'll mean in turn a leftwing Labour Party again. It's this nasty rightwing Lab-Con consensus that needs smashing.

so...Green it is..or something
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

May 03, 2005, 23:51
They know now. That's why Blair's rattled by the popularity of the LibDems with Labour's old 'core-voters', and it's what's gonna be his undoing. The Labour party isn't saying it yet, but they've had enough of Blair and his whet-Tory policies, and a bit of a kicking at the polls will give them the excuse they need to decapitate him. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
alan lake soon
349 posts

May 04, 2005, 00:02
Can we assume Gordon Brown will be better? Probably, but I'm not sure how much better. At least for now, I don't want to smack him in the chops, like I do every time I see Mr Tony...agh!

So: Vote Lib Dem if you can guarentee it won't let the T*ries in, otherwise Labour in the hope of Gordon...

Doesn't really stir the blood, does it?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 04, 2005, 00:06
Agree with that, except for ASBOs, which I'm actually in favour of (call me a reactionary if you like, but I do think people have a right not to live in fear of intimidation from folk with thuggish attitudes). On the other hand, though, Labour have introduced a minimum wage, abolished most of the hereditary peers in the House of Lords (neither of which the Tories would ever e dream of) and finally got rid of the vile Section 28 law. Not only that, the economy may stil be a mess, but it's a damn sight healthier than it was back in the 80s.

It's true that there may only be two parties in this country who have any feasible chance of being elected - Tory and Tory Lite. Given the choice, I'd prefer Tory Lite, however subtle the differences may be. Obviously, though, as you say, that won't stop me hoping that Labour get such a small majority this time round that the party has to undergo a major restruture in order to have any hope of surviving.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

May 04, 2005, 08:36
I'm voting Green AND we might even win. Defo 2nd place at least.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Re: May Druidon
May 04, 2005, 08:39
Maybe if it wasn't such a secret & 'seedy' business more peeps would vote. It's a fakin discrace that people can be secretive when voting. Everyone should have to publically declare. Then be interviewed by Jerry Paxman/Springer or something.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

May 04, 2005, 08:42
publicly
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

May 04, 2005, 08:48
I'd like to see voting via e-mail. I wonder if that would change any results.....
Labour here. xx
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index