Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Absent Early ECMs
Apr 26, 2005, 13:14
I have 'Escalator' as a two CD set on ECM, and it sounds like the same mix as the triple Virgin/JCOA set I acquired on LP way back in the mid seventies. Buy with confidence. Other early WATT/JCOA things I have on CD, via ECM, are Carla Bley's 'Tropic Appetites', Michael Mantler's 'Hapless Child' and, best of all, 'Jazz Composers Orchestra' which is one baaaadddd racket of glory. They're all still listed on the ECM website.

Wolfgang Dauner's wonderful clavichord-extravaganza 'Output' remains a vinyl-only collector's item, I'm afraid. It's one of a goodly portion of early ECM's that have never seen the light of day on CD. It's curious, but I get the impression that most of the really adventurous, left-field stuff that ECM brought out in its earliest days has been conveniently forgotten about by the company, who now seem keener to project a sterile, technically perfect (and mostly classical) aura. Hence the lack of things like Bailey's 'Music Improvisation Company', Alfred Harth's chaotic gem 'Just Music', Robin Kenyatta's 'Girl From Martinique', Gary Burton's lovely record of Mike Gibbs compositions (whose name escapes me), and virtually the entire JAPO catalogue which really sorted the men out from the boys where experimentation was concerned. And why Mal Waldron's eternal headtrip 'The Call' has never been digitalised is a mystery to me.

Jan Garbarek's recent output, anyone? Ugh. Saccarine Shakataks, as Sylvester the cat never used to say. Gimme 'Afric Pepperbird' and 'Triptykon' any day.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index