Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: sun city girls
Apr 22, 2005, 13:46
... are one of the most fabulous, infuriating, genius, bullshit, scrath-yr-head, scratch-yr-balls bands EVER ... there's no real consistency, a whole range of sounds, some great great tunes, great great playing mixed w/ some complete take-the-piss waste of time crap - but not everyone agrees on what's the good stuff + what's the crap. There are a few that most seem to agree on, namely "torch of the mystics" + "330,003 cross dressers from beyond the rig veda" + "live from planet boomerang", which do what the SCG "do" most consistently, ie an out western rock band freaking out further on 3rd world musics .. theyr'e great recs. Others i'd recommend, altho others may not concur include:
"horse cock phepner" (lotsa songs, lotsa profanity, scatological humour - deranged rewrite of The Fugs' "cia man" maybe sums it up - sample lyric = "who sucks off the pope behind closed doors? / and spits the cum into yr open sores? cia maaaaaan..."), "libyan dream" (kinda messed up inconsistent take on "torch of the mystics" era ... great cover of "journey to the centre of yr mind"), "high asio/lo-pacific" (mix of entho songs + whaddafugg?? tape collage), "bright surroundings/dark beginnings" (long tracks of trio rock murk) + sir rick bishop's first solo cd "salvador kali" (beautiful beautiful solo gtr, w/ occasional harmonium/piano additions .. surprisingly "straight" + all the better for it) .....
ones that drive me nuts include "midnight cowboys from ipenema" (70s pop cover versions mixed w/ smutty tape fuckery) and the first coupla vols of the "carnival folklore" series (aimless noodly wank) ... but they may be great records + my brain just ain't vibrating w/ em ... that's the thing w/ SCG.
You got any of their recs? what do you think?

"
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index