Soundtrack to our lives w/e 20/03/05ce

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives w/e 20/03/05ce
Mar 20, 2005, 18:23
"...and whhen the f*** is somebody gonna get around to reissuing Thirst by Clock Dva on cd? Been out of print for years."

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I seem to remember that the Italian label Contempo put it out in 1992, but then it dissappeared or got deleted.
But yeah, damn right!
I almost feel like contacting/hounding Daniel Miller at Mute!
Five
Five
960 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 19:09
A friend dropped his hard drive collection onto mine so I am now perusing

lots of Meters & Funkadelic

Screaming Headless Torsoes

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Les Claypool's Bucket Of Bernie Brains
Primus - Brown Album

Parlet

Daktaris

Nino Nardini & Pop Riviera

Phish - Junta

I am balancing all the funkiness with
OM - Variations..
Neil Hagerty - All Night Fox
and a lot of our own gig tapes and studio seshes for archival purposes
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 19:39
Due to being able to listen to music in work (another new job, another new career low!), i have had a chance to listen to ALOT of music : ) Here are some of the many highlights..........

The Fall - 'Live At The Witch Trials' - 'Dragnet' - 'I Am Kurious Oranj' - 'Country On The Click' - 'B-Sides' - ALL ace, apart from 'Kurious Oranj' which left me cold half way through! I advise anyone to buy the new remastered discs ('....Witch Trials'/Dragent etc) they are blinding!

Cabaret Voltaire - '8 Crepuscule Tracks' - good compilation of early 80's tracks - top stuff!

Sonic Youth - 'Goo' - 'Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star' - 'Goo' is great - 'Experimental' is fantastic!

The Teardrop Explodes - 'Everbody Wants To Shag....' - great thrown-together album.

Can - 'Tago Mago' - really must get the remaster of this.

Pink Floyd - 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' - if only they had stayed like this...if only!

Butthole Surfers - 'Locust Abortion Technician' - utterly odd at times, but always interesting.

np The Fall - Code:Selfish.........i like it alot :)
a23
a23
1004 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 19:49
This week's been expolring a bit more Josephine Foster - saw her a couple of times live and thinking I rather like her voice now - took its time.
First up "all the leaves are gone" from last year which is worth getting to know. Also the new album, which should be out in a few weeks.."Hazel eyes, i will lead you" which is a solo effort rather than being supported by the supposed, rather good it is too. her voice is more delicate on some of the songs, mostly just accompanied by acoustic guitar/uke

Peter Wright - he was on the above tour too and picked up "Distant Bombs" which has been re-issued on last visible dog. 7 tracks, some lovely drone repetitions, the odd vocal track, very good to warm up to.

James Blackshaw - composed pieces mostly for 12 string guitar - his first album "celeste" plus his new one which doesn't seem to have a title and is limited to some miniscule number.

Kemiallset Y...you know the ones..."alkulharka" - have given this a bit of a listen...not sure about it yet. In fact not really sure about the whole finnish scene to be honest. As Beautiful Day posted, they're up in Glasgow next month - i think I'd like to see a few of them do their thing live before I'm sold on the recordings...bit too fragmented and irritating in places.

Marissa Nadler - "saga of mayflower may" - this album just gets better and better. A tour beckons in June...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 21:54
DMBQ - The Essential Sounds of the Far East (new 2005), recommended to fans of early 70's heavy psych / proto-metal tho this is brand spanking new, on Estrus records. They are from Japan.

Dead Meadows - Shivering King and Others (2003) a bit like the above, only more metal and more "emo" -- they're from DC.

Black Dice - Creature Comforts (2004) + Miles of Smiles EP (also 2004, now playing)

Pretty Things - Parachute (1970?) - not as great as SFS, but damn near.

Atomic Rooster - Heavy Soul anthology, kinda like Vanilla Fudge only not as crappy and boring.

The Sweet - Rock n Roll Disgrace (Live in Japan c. 1975), sheeit! They rock hard.

Mix CD's of: Ozzy, Motley Crue & Iron Maiden.

Usual Suspects dept:

The Guess Who - Artificial Paradise (1973), Road Food (1974), Wheatfield Soul (1968), Canned Wheat (1969), and Live @ Paramount (1972) is queued up yet again for next play! Can't get enough Burton Cummings these days.

And in the car: mix tapes of Capt Beefheart, Grateful Dead & the mighty ELP.

Video:

Wonderwall - great soundtrack remastered in 5.1, some nice visuals, but in the end it's still a mediocre film.

Festival Express - not great, recommended mainly for Dead & Joplin fans.

Plus another late nite radio setlist attached. . .
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Late nite radio
Mar 20, 2005, 22:03
2am-5am sub shift:
(N) = new release

DMBQ - Are You Satisfied? (N)
Daft Punk - The Prime Time of Your Life (N)
DJ Spooky vs. Dave Lombardo - The Art of War (N)
Lemon Jelly - '79 aka The Shouty Track (N)
Coachwhips - Did You Cum? (N)

Judas Priest - Hellrider (N - Halford's back!!!)
Beatallica - Got To Get You Trapped Under Ice
Pentagram - Forever My Queen
Budgie - Whiskey River
Nomeansno - Ghosts
Guitar Wolf - Drives With Wolves (N)

MF Doom - One Beer (N)
Handsome Boy Modeling School feat. Pharrell & Julee Cruise - Class System (N)
UFO Jim - Mexico UFO's (N)
Chrome - Eyes in the Center
Von LMO - Leave Your Body
Zolar X - I Pulled My Helmet Off (I'm Going To Love Her)
Randy & The Rest - The Vacuum

(snuck some Conet Project samples into the next set for maximum weirdness)
Sun Ra - Space is the Place
Tonto's Expanding Headband - Free Flight
Cosmic Jokers - The Electronic Scene
Black Dice - Night Flight
Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun (trks 5 & 6)

Flower Travellin Band - Satori pt. 5
Guru Guru - Oxymoron

Petra Haden - Relax (N - from "Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out", a solo a capella remake of The Who's LP.)
Various artists (Vital records) - Tommy in 7 Minutes
Tunji Oyelana & the Benders - Ifa (N - world psych comp vol. 3 on Luaka Bop)
Shonen Knife - Shonen Knife

Brazillian Girls - Pussy (N)
El Oso - Bury It And Smile (N)
Eastern Son - Magic Fountain Mighty Atom Bomb Flower (N)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Underwhelmed Soundtracks
Mar 20, 2005, 23:11
Hatfield and the North, natch...and, perhaps inevitably, the reformation gig at The Mean Fiddler was a bit of a disappointment after all my excited anticipation. The absence of Dave Stewart was all too obvious, especially as none of his compositions were played. My dream of hearing my all-time favourite song 'Fitter Stoke Has A Bath' played live was never realised, and there was a distinct air of sloppiness about the concert as a whole. That said, seeing three original members on one stage was still a thrill, and individually they all still cut it, even if the whole proved to be much less than the sum of its parts. Highlights: Richard Sinclair's duo renditions of 'Disassociation' and 'In The Land Of Grey & Pink' with the mightliy impressive Theo Travis; pretty much the whole of In Cahoots' half hour set, a slowed-down but intense 'Yes/No Interlude' and, of course, 'Share It'.

The Mean Fiddler is a fucking horrible venue, mind. I've no desire to return.

Record-wise, I have dug Mooney Suzuki's mighty rock and roll debut, Camel's 'Mirage' and 'Rain Dances', Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira', Gong's 'Camembert Electrique', Cinerama's 'Torino' and Traffic's 'On The Road'. i have also driven my colleagues mad with Peter Brotzmann's 'Machine Gun'...wwwwooooorraaaaAAGGGHH!!!!!
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 00:46
The last episode of the recent series of the UK's best tv programme, Shameless, ended with ELP's version of Jerusalem!!
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 00:50
LP’S

NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS – Lyre of Orpheus / Abattoir Blues (Double albums are always a lot to take in initially, but this is continuing to impress me more and more. This weeks fave is the title track of LOR. Oh mama!!)

JULIAN COPE – Rite2 (esp D Composer)

HARMONIA – Muzik Von…

AUGUSTUS PABLO – In Fine Style

SMOG – Supper (Lots of goodies on this, especially Ambition)

T.REX – T.Rex (JT shamed me into playing some Bolan a few days back! This is a classic album for me, with so many great songs here - Bolan was obviously going through a genuinely inspired period. Really enjoying The Wizard and it’s ‘new’ version at the mo)

V/A – Mojo: Beyond Punk (I may have mentioned this before, but I’d honestly forgotten how utterly wonderful Siouxsie’s Mirage is. Superb track, and there’s lots more here, too. Some I knew – Kidney Bingos, The Classical – and loved!, and some of which I didn’t. e.g. Silent Command, which is)

Single…

NEW ORDER – Krafty (This is a grower. It sounded fairly unremarkable at first, but old habits die hard so I bought the bugger. Love the intro – that early 80’s like-beat, Hooky’s basslines. Great. Super. As they’d say in Reggie Perrin)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 01:07
"JT shamed me into playing some Bolan a few days back!"

I was just getting......concerned!

;-)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index