Unsung Punk

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Husker Du
Jun 29, 2001, 16:20
..funny you mention them as I just 're-discoverd' them in the last week or so via a comp tape I made years back of tracks from Zen Arcade,new day Rising and Candy Apple Grey..pulled out Flip Your Wig as well,and the ok,but not nearly as good Warehouse...

.a powerful band...the musical equivalent to a blood vessel in the neck ready to burst.
Vox Phantom
104 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jun 29, 2001, 17:02
Yes! One of my all time favourites. Check out my Unsung review of "The Painted Word" for more on the subject.

As far as Dan Treacy, I guess he actually disappeared for a year or two and no one knew where he was, though he had become messed up with smack. Apparently he had walked off with his advance from the record label, sold all his guitars and records, all that depressing junkie stuff. This is why "Don't Cry Baby...It's Only a Movie" was a grab bag of previous outtakes and covers and radio sessions.

I have heard that Dan reappeared, though, so hopefully he's going to get well enough to put out a proper new album soon.

Then again, this is all based on rumour and innuendo...
Razor Penguin
84 posts

Re: Mission of Burma
Jun 29, 2001, 20:45
The Rykodisc compilation was one of the first CD's I ever bought, too! The eponymous CD on the Taang! label is great as well, with massive versions of "Dirt," "Peking Spring," and "Photograph." I'm pissed I never saw 'em live; tried to catch them on their final tour but was stranded in the middle of PA going to college (read listening to records and getting stoned) and couldn't make the gig. Saw Birdsongs twice in their early days and they were fab. One time I saw them at Georgetown U. and then sped across town to the 9:30 Club to catch the Sound (anyone remember them?)

Speaking of Ace of Hearts bands, I always loved the Neats, too. Not a punk band, though.
WEASEL
6 posts

Re: Wire
Jun 29, 2001, 22:25
Yes, Vox. Sorry couldn't resist the jibe...you may remember when Live at the Roxy came out wire got slagged off as being very different from the other stuff on that lp and "not punk". Pink Flag is, i think, a pretty tongue in cheek lp, far too literate to be put in the same glass with the likes of the Lurkers/Slaughter & the Dogs etc etc. And some of their later stuff (inc solo projects) was firmly up their own fundaments-though much i cherish
"tears fall in slivers - you broke my shades" - what a hook, line & sinker
Arthur
21 posts

Zoundz
Jun 30, 2001, 11:22
dru, I remember the song but I can't remember the name.
"123 go I got an ego it won't let me go, so what 'ma gonna do. ABCD paranoia's killing me", etc. etc.
Anyone know the name?
Alexis
20 posts

Re: Unsung Punk-the Government
Jun 30, 2001, 16:13
THere's alot of bands been mentioned that I love, but they're not what I'd consider unsung on this site (Maps, Slits popgroup...). SO I'm gonna mention one-the GOvernment. THey did the brilliant Hemingway Hated Disco Music 7", THe THe Flat Tire ep, And Electric Eye lp. THere's a 2nd lp I have which isn't as good, and another ep, that a friend of mine has, but I've never heard. I'll write a review in the next little while. I've been thinking of trying to track down the members of the band. they're pretty obscure.
p.s. has anyone ever tried writing to the address in the back of the simply saucer reish cd?
Droood
58 posts

Jun 30, 2001, 21:04
Didn't 80's dronesters Loop do a cover of Thief Of Fire on the back of their poptastic Collision single?
Leppo Joove
33 posts

Re: Blue Orchids!!
Jul 01, 2001, 15:15
You're right about "Work" - I used to have a tape of it which a friend did for me, although sadly I don't anymore as I lost a whole load of my tapes when I last moved house. If I remember rightly, the B-side, "The House That Faded Out" is pretty groovy as well. I still have the LP though - it's a lot mellower than the single, but still excellent. Last time I saw it was in Music and Video Exchange for 40 quid, although I found it sometime in the mid-80s for 3.50. I'll do you a tape if you want to send me an e-mail with yr address...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 01, 2001, 15:28
yup
what a band -renmember seeing them on
New Year's Eve 89/90 doing a version of 1989 with the support band (Birdhouse?) blomming love them
nice to see that review of A Gilded Infinity on this site -wish it was easier to access things though
this place could do with an alphabetic index -otherwise you have to wade through to the beginning of reviews to ensure you find everything
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

yeah yeah no
Jul 01, 2001, 15:35
funny that -my brother went to University with YYN so I don't group them in with Punk -it must only be in the region of 4 years after though.

how about
The Minutemen
Death By Milkfloat
Meat Puppets
etc etc
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index