Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Gentle Giant 'Acquiring The Taste'
Oct 25, 2007, 08:34
IanB wrote:

Gentle Giant were more like a British version of The Band. Not ashamed of their essential Englishness and a gang of musical grave robbers as skilled as Robertson, Manuel and Danko. In touch with the core Rock ideal but not afraid of a detour that flew in the face of everyone else.

Second album is probably the place to start. Avoid everything after 1977 and deffo seek out 'His Last Voyage' on Free Hand because it is just so damned bizarre. Emma Kirkby and Bobby Hutcherson join Steeleye Span.

I found the one '75 live set I got by them too 'busy'. The 72 and 73 sets are far less bpm. It's one thing I don't like in prog people trying to show off about how much they can fit in each moment and thereby losing resonance. I do like them earlier on where they are more spacious even if they keep switching over instruments every other moment.
Stevo
Np Birthday Party Sydney 81 Cry
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
Oct 25, 2007, 09:03
The utterly brilliant, Earthling Society. ;) xx The Moonlit Road track is a particular favourite of mine.
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 11:07
Advent are pretty excellent, especially as they're only semi-professional.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 11:19
"Tell me more, Tell me more"

Any specific recommendations?
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 11:48
First album is called 'Advent' (original huh?). Second is called Cantus Firmus. They pay a little homage to Gentle Giant on some tracks. Wanna burn???

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 13:26
Thaks very much for the offer. I'll go have a look at their web site.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 25, 2007, 14:45
Great list of proto prog by Stevo on page 8 July 28, 2006 of this thread.
Rust Phimister
Rust Phimister
49 posts

Nov 15, 2007, 15:18
They've probably all been mentioned here, but I'd go for: Egg, Henry Cow, Van der Graaf Generator (particularly "Godbluff"), Pavlov's Dog, Massacre (prog or avant-garde? hmm), Magma, Comus's first album, Caravan ("In the Land of Grey and Pink"), Agitation Free (more Krautrock, maybe), Soft Machine (again, is this avant-garde?), Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom", any King Crimson, especially the debut, and I have to admit to having very soft spots for "Dark Side of the Moon", "Close to the Edge", "Tarkus" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by those devils Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and Genesis respctively. I know, shame on me! Plus, there's a whole wealth of proto-prog that's worth checking out, such as The Moody Blues, Writing on the Wall, "Hot Rats"-era Zappa or avant-garde psych bands like The United States of America and The Residents.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Nov 15, 2007, 17:04
Rust Phimister wrote:
They've probably all been mentioned here, but I'd go for: Egg, Henry Cow, Van der Graaf Generator (particularly "Godbluff"), Pavlov's Dog, Massacre (prog or avant-garde? hmm), Magma, Comus's first album, Caravan ("In the Land of Grey and Pink"), Agitation Free (more Krautrock, maybe), Soft Machine (again, is this avant-garde?), Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom", any King Crimson, especially the debut, and I have to admit to having very soft spots for "Dark Side of the Moon", "Close to the Edge", "Tarkus" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by those devils Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and Genesis respctively. I know, shame on me! Plus, there's a whole wealth of proto-prog that's worth checking out, such as The Moody Blues, Writing on the Wall, "Hot Rats"-era Zappa or avant-garde psych bands like The United States of America and The Residents.

Good music is good music and labels are less important than substance.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index