Acceptable face of prog

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
Jul 28, 2006, 01:54
I simply wouldn't know where to start. There is an enormous amount of great prog that has nothing to do with the styles of Yes or Genesis. The only problem is I don't know what you'd like or not like, and people have very different ideas about what is and isn't prog, too. My idea of it all might be too broad for some people to agree with.
So, I can't face the enormous effort involved in making a list of all the stuff I would recommend, but I'll throw one that is the first to pop into my head right now -
Osanna - Palepoli
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Jul 28, 2006, 09:28
http://www.progarchives.com/

Not a bad resource with lots of reviews and some sound files.
Phosjaw
Phosjaw
67 posts

Jul 28, 2006, 11:59
[quote="Dog 3000"]

Genesis -- can't stand any of it!! Gabriel was a good singer, but the rest of them were always so wuss.

quote]

Dead right! They never could rock - no balls at all.
Bag o' shite!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: osanna
Jul 28, 2006, 13:17
yup got it.
Was thinking of getting it ot & burning it & Cervello Melos for taking to the camp.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 28, 2006, 16:55
These are supposed to be pretty good proto-prog lps

2066 & Then - Reflections!
A-Austr Musics from Holy Ground
Abacus - s/t
Ache - De Homine Urbano
Ache - Green Man
Affinity - s/t
Aquila - s/t
Arc - At this
Arcadium - Breathe Awhile
Arzachel - s/t
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
Beggars Opera - Act One
Beggars Opera - Pathfinder
Beggars Opera - Waters of Change
Black Widow - Sacrifice
Bodkin - s/t
Bram Stoker - Heavy Rock Spectacular
Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144
Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - WWW
Catapilla - Changes
Catapilla - s/t
Cirkus - One
Colosseum - Daughter of Time
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Comus - First Utteranace
Cressida - Asylum
Cressida - s/t
Culpepers Orchard - s/t
Czar - s/t
Dear Mr. Time -Grandfather
Diabolus - s/t
Earth & Fire-same
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
East of Eden - s/t
Egg - The Polite Force
Egg - s/t
Fairfield Parlour - From Home to Home
Family - Family Entertainment
Fantasy - Beyond the Beyond
Fantasy - Paint a Picture
Fields - s/t
Frumpy - Frumpy 2
Fuchsia - s/t
Fusion Orchestra - Skeleton in Armour
Fuzzy Duck - s/t
Galliard - New Dawn
Galliard - Strange Pleasure
Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toenail
Gnidrolog - Lady Lake
Gracious - This is... Gracious!!
Gracious - s/t
Gravy Train - Ballad of a Peaceful Man
Gravy Train - Second Birth
Greenslade - s/t
Greenwood, Nicholas - Cold Cuts
High Tide - Sea Shanties
High Tide - s/t
Indian Summer - s/t
Jan Dukes de Grey - Mice & Rats in the Loft
Jody Grind - Far Canal
Jonesy - Growing
Julian Jay Savarin - Waiters on the Dance
Julian's Treatment - A Time Before This
Kestrel - s/t
Khan - Space Shanty
Kingdom Come - Galactic Zoo Dossier
Kingdom Come - Journey
Krokodil - An Invisible World...
Locomotive - We Are Everything You See
Love Sculpture - Forms & Feelings
Manfred Mann's Chapter Three Vol. 2
Marsupilami - Arena
Marsupilami - s/t
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs
Missing Link - Nevergreen!
Odin - s/t
Orange Peel - s/t
Out of Focus - Wake Up
Out of Focus - s/t
Pete Brown & Piblokto - Thousands on a Raft
Parlour Band - Is a Friend?
Procol Harum - Shine on Brightly
Quatermass - s/t
Quicksand - Home is Where I belong
Rare Bird - As Your Mind Flies By
Rare Bird - s/t
Raw Material - Time is...
Room - Pre-Flight
Samurai - s/t
Sandrose - s/t
Second Hand - Death May Be Your Santa Claus
Skin Alley - s/t
Spring - s/t
Still Life - s/t
Subject Esq - s/t
T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland
The Greatest Show on Earth - Horizons
Titus Groan - s/t
Tonton Macoute - s/t
Touch - s/t
Tractor - s/t
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Warm Dust - And It Came To Pass
Web - I Spider
Wind - Seasons
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Focus
Jul 30, 2006, 11:24
I'm a HUGE Focus fan. They still tour regularly. Catch 'em when you can. We saw them in Oxford last year. http://www.focustheband.nl/

'Prog' fan
J
x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Focus
Jul 30, 2006, 14:10
When they fire a member are they said to be 'out of Focus'? Gwarp!

ps I have an ancient vinyl Focus live album with a great foldy outy gatfold sleeve and it's ace.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2006, 12:41
Gentle Giant 'Acquiring The Taste'
Jul 30, 2006, 19:29
I'd certainly put a hand up for the first few Gentle Giant records. Actually all of them up to Free Hand. They were much maligned as a codpiece and sackbutt act along the lines of say Gryphon but they could actually deliver a powerful noise. Gorgeous harmonies (more Tallis than Temptations of course) and they had that core r&b and jazz thing that VdGG have / had. A lot of Miles in there too on occasion but absorbed in the same way as say Patto.

There was always a suspicion with Yes (who I much admire for a bunch of things too obscure to bother with here) that they were incapable of rocking with Bruford and Howe on board and that was the heavy price paid for the technical gifts they brought to the act. Peter Banks only wanted to rock and he got sent home with his Rickenbacker between his legs and was gently air brushed from Yes history. Tony Kaye wanted to be in Traffic so he had to go. Part of the appeal of 'Yours Is No Disgrace' (their one and only straight down the line riff Rock song) is that they make such hard work of it - only Kaye could have got a gig in Uriah Heap AND with Spencer Davies. Alan White knew how to Rock when he arrived but they soon knocked that out of him. They actually seriously swing on Yessongs but by Topographic Oceans White seems to be a mere paradiddle and ratamucue away from a nervous breakdown at all times.

Meanwhile Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford were often to be seen playing while sitting down leaving the whole of the Genesis stage to PG's costume party. Four men on stools and a fifth dressed as a flower. They could not Rock either. Not sitting down. You got the impression that they were all rather worried about being caught downwind of the audience.

Gentle Giant were more like a British version of The Band. Not ashamed of their essential Englishness and a gang of musical grave robbers as skilled as Robertson, Manuel and Danko. In touch with the core Rock ideal but not afraid of a detour that flew in the face of everyone else.

They piss all over horrible horrible nonsense like Greenslade and kick much of the Canterbury twee set to the kerb. I suspect they avoided stardom on account of being, by and large, pug ugly. No Hammill, Lake, Anderson or Gabriel boyish charm to bring a little glamour to the clamour. GG looked like sailors on shore leave sobering up after a night of drunken cross dressing. They were I believe fucking huge in Italy and er ..... Belgium.

Second album is probably the place to start. Avoid everything after 1977 and deffo seek out 'His Last Voyage' on Free Hand because it is just so damned bizarre. Emma Kirkby and Bobby Hutcherson join Steeleye Span.

Oh and one of them produced the early Sugarcubes sides. So no fool he.

Of course you have to start out Prog curious and not mind a bit of Blackadderesque tom foolery. If the very idea makes you snort into your pint of ULU snakebite and has you dribbling it out your nose and down your Joy Division t shirt then this is all best avoided. Trust me.
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Re: Gentle Giant 'Acquiring The Taste'
Jul 31, 2006, 07:12
IanB wrote:
Of course you have to start out Prog curious and not mind a bit of Blackadderesque tom foolery. If the very idea makes you snort into your pint of ULU snakebite and has you dribbling it out your nose and down your Joy Division t shirt then this is all best avoided. Trust me.

heh

nicely put
amazon
amazon
959 posts

Re: Gentle Giant 'Acquiring The Taste'
Jul 31, 2006, 14:30
I trust you. Completely.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index