Acceptable face of prog

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Lamb Lies Down
May 31, 2005, 19:58
London counter staff, surely they'd've prefered things that way?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
May 31, 2005, 20:03
Wow I think I have pretty much all of that list now. Don't have Area's Crac though & Caution could do with a louder remaster.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 31, 2005, 20:06
Surprised you didn't bung in Help Yourself in that.
If I have any luk my copy of the VDGG remastrer will be at home when I get there alongside the SAcd hybrid of Tago Mago & a copy of the Tomorrow s/t cd.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 31, 2005, 20:10
Start off with Caravan's 'Land Of Grey And Pink', 'Soft Machine Volume One & Two', the Hatfields' 'Rotters Club' and Ayers 'Joy Of A Toy'. If they don't do it for you, the scene's not for you.
>
got all of those now, made a rush purchase of SM vols 1&2 in '92 or 3 cos I thought it was gonna go out of print since they were being released separately. I think you can still get it.
H&TN's Rotters Club is pretty dashed nice. I've got the expanded version but its all I've heard by them.
Is National Health a safe bet after that? & what about Egg?
I think I have 3 out of the 1st 4 solo Kevin Ayers though I've only got the old version of Whatevershebringswesing. Is the expanded one much better in sound quality? Actually I think the older one is only a couple of years older.
Stevo
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Re: Camel
May 31, 2005, 21:25
yeah I know what you mean -- I'd left Camel in the cupboard since being a teenager. Then I put on Rain Dances the other day and actually enjoyed it immensely. Breathless is better though -- transposrts me like a Ray Bradbury novel to hazy summer Holland with its peaceful fields, canals, cows, dykes, hookers and coffee shops.

I think I shall ring my travel agent in fact.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

National Health, Egg, Ayers stuff
May 31, 2005, 23:08
It's a safe bet that if you like Hatfield, you'll like National Health and Egg as well, as both bear that inimitable Dave Stewart keyboard sound. Go for Egg's 'The Civil Surface' and Health's 'Of Queues And Cures' for starters, then, assuming you dig, get the others. Mont Campbell and John Greaves sing in a similar style to Richard Sinclair but are very different bass stylists. Enjoy.

If you've got the BGO version of 'Whatevershebringswesing', stick with it, unless you want the outtakes on the Harvest version. There's no real difference in the sound quality; in fact I marginally prefer the BGO 'Joy Of A Toy' to the Harvest issue, even sans extra tracks.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 01:10
My picks:

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red, Discipline and definitely get most of their live albums

Yes - The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer

Van der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Only One, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life

Il Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys

Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

Genesis - Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme

Voivod - Dimension Hatross, Nothingface

The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium, Frances The Mute

Magma - MDK, some others I'm sure as I don't have much by them yet

Gorguts - Obscura

Henry Cow - all

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was Death, The Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms

Enslaved - Below The Lights

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame

Nektar - Journey To The Center Of The Eye, A Tab In The Ocean

Rush - 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres

Vangelis - Heaven and Hell, Albedo 0.39

Virus - Carheart

Note that this is excluding stuff that I don't necessarily consider prog; though it may, and most of this stuff indeed is, progressive...Can, Amon Duul II and most kraut in general, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Soft Machine, Miles Davis, etc. etc. etc...

Prog rules
Mike
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 27, 2006, 20:08
Thought I'd see about getting comment if anybody missed this 2 years back. Still wondering about the subject though I've picked up bits and pieces from the suggestions made above.
Stevo
Np Gridnolog In Spite Of Harry's Toenail Who Spoke?
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 27, 2006, 21:48
This Heat (appropriately enough in this weather) had roots in prog, but managed to rise way above it to come on like a British Can.

I was told I would probably like early Genesis by enough people that I got someone to play me some. I sat through it with a frown on my face and will never go back there.
buzfuz
buzfuz
82 posts

Re: Lamb Lies Down
Jul 27, 2006, 22:42
i also like gabriel-era genesis, it's what i listened to before punk and i still enjoy it. despite what copey or london shop staff think
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index