68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03
Sep 14, 2003, 13:52
This week's listening:-

Mark Stewart 'Mark Stewart' - Hard & heavy beats laid down by the old Sugarhill Gang rhythm section. The best track is the instrumental (ie, without Mark Stewart!!!) 'Stranger Than Love Dub' built up on 'Les Trois Gynopedies'. Good stuff.

The Fall 'Totally Wired - The Rough Trade Anthology' - Fuck me, this is brilliant!!! So very varied and original; the man's a genius!

The Libertines 'Up The Bracket' - I love the way this is always just veering out of control... "I get along just singing my song. People tell me I'm wrong. Fuck 'em"

Wah! 'The Handy Wah! Whole' - I've been picking this 2CD retrospective up for months in my local Andy's Records but the £14.99 price tag has always meant I've put it back down. In their 70% off last day of trading sale I finall succumbed. Not played it all yet, but 'Better Scream' and 'Don't Step On The Cracks' have had a few airings, along with some others. He always had an eye for an epic tune, did Wylie.

XTC 'White Music' - Bought so I could hear 'Statue Of Liberty' again. Lots of jarring noise with good poppy tunes. I'm sure I've still got this on vinyl somewhere; I can't imagine having sold it!

Rancid 'Indestructible' - Looking forward to seeing these boys hit the boards in Nottingham tomorrow night! Great singalong tunes, if only I could work out what the fuck Tim Armstrong was singing! (Lyrics are included in the libretto, but not while I'm driving, eh?)

Mary Lorson & Saint Low 'Tricks For Dawn' - Should have learnt my lesson from the Madder Rose CD I bought last week. This is pretty uninspiring. Played it for a third time this morning and can't remember anything from it!

Soledad Brothers 'Live At The Gold Bar' - Pretty standard pub R&B really. Uninspiring.

This Mortal Coil 'Filigree And Shadow' - Far more sombre than I was expecting. Great for late night reading...

PJ Harvey '4 Track Demos' - She just doesn't grab me. I'm sorry. I know it's good.

Circle 'Alotus' - Good repetetive slow builds. I like these guys a lot. TeeP says to look out for a tour this Autumn. I shall be there!

Altered Images 'Destiny. The Hits' - 'Insects' and 'A Days Wait' are fondly remembered from nights listening to Peel. The stuff from 'Bite' is epic though.

Julian Cope 'The Followers Of Saint Julian' - Assorted b-sides, etc. I love 'Disaster'.

Elastica 'Elastica' - Sleeper style vocals, though I like the choppy guitars. I could hear the Wire connection. Always liked '2:1' from the 'Trainspotting' soundtrack.

Various 'Step Right Up - The Songs of Tom Waits' - Worth the price alone for Drugstore's 'Old Shoes' which is just fucking brilliant. Better than the original. Pete Shelley singing 'You're Better Off Without A Wife' makes me smile.

Blur 'Think Tank' - I think 'Out Of Time' is the best thing on it, though the wayward 'Jets' is pretty kooky.

Mary Margaret O'Hara 'Apartment Hunting' - There's none kookier! I'm going to have to get 'Miss America' back from my friend.

Julie Murphy 'Lilac Time' - Folk singer. Nice, gentle tunes, though when she started on '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Once I caught a fish alive...' I had to go for a walk around the garden!

Belly 'The Best Of...' - 'Spaceman' and 'Thief' have been in heavy rotation, and I like jumping up and down to 'Super-Connected' when I'm getting ready to go out!

NP 'Delicatessen 4', a Cooking Vinyl sampler featuring Grant Lee Phillips, Cracker, Frank Black, Cowboy Junkies and others, along with a track from Mary Lorson and Saint Low which If I'd heard before I wouldn't have bought her fucking album!

Have a good week y'all, and remember,
'Punk Lives!'
~;o)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index