Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Metalpub
130 posts

Re: Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03
Sep 15, 2003, 16:43
Ah, the man has taste!
Regarding Robert Ashley's intensely strange Automatic Writing, do you own any of his other works? I'd certainly recommend "The Wolfman" and "In Sarah, Mencken, Christ and Beethoven there were men and Women". Great music to take drugs to and play in the dark.

By the way, are you Bongo Billy the guitar playing hippy in Goa?
Metalpub
130 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 16:53
Haven't done this for a while, let me see...

Laibach-WAT.
New album. Haven't played it all the way through yet. Quite like the Basic Channel/Chain Reaction influence on a couple of tracks.

Broadcast-Haha Sound
One of my few concessions to pop music. I saw them support Aphex Twin in Cambridge in 1996 and they seem to have got better and better.

Alternative TV- Vibing up the Senile Man
Slots in nicely among other totally mad British avant rock of the late 70s (see also first This Heat LP, L Voag, PIL's Metal Box) I wish I could force this on everyone.

Stockhausen-Gruppen
I always listen to Stockhausen on Sundays

Faust-1st lp
You know Faust

David Bowie-Best of Bowie DVD
Tried out my latest toy (a DVD player) with aforementioned disc. Delighted to see the vintage footage. Was intrigued by the so-called Easter Egg features. Managed to find the entire "Jazzing for Blue Jean" film and was blown away by its breathtaking naffness. Still, Bowie looks positively edible in the Be My Wife promo.

Frank Zappa-Uncle Meat
Cos you can't beat your uncle meat.
johan
165 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 17:37
is there to be a Squid family supergroup perhaps? like the Carter Family but with drones??

johan
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

This Heat
Sep 15, 2003, 18:29
How does the first This Heat compare to "Deceit" or "Health and Efficiency"? I've listened to the latter two a couple of times, but I still don't see what makes people rate these so highly. (Not that they're bad.) I'm particularly puzzled by comparisons some make to Can and Faust, let alone Canterbury; the band sounds much more industrial to me.

Thanks for any remarks.
Zos
389 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 19:23
Yeah, I thought of Crowley's book when I first saw the title and thought maybe I was in for an occult treat, but it's all a little too aimless for me that track, I'm afraid...

If you dig Crowley I really do recommend those Queasy Listening albums for an engagingly post-modern take on his magickal current...
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 21:16
Been up the shed this week fixing things... accompanying tunes include...

Sunburned Hand Of Man - Jaybird
Quite like this, it's a bit random, and the track editing sucks logs but it's just right for 'pottering' about, you can drift in and out of the tunes asa nd when.

Comets On Fire - Field Recordings.../Comets On Fire
Not ssure about these..like Comets On Fire better than Field Recordings, but in truth, only heard both CD's once, so maybe they'll grow on me.
First impressions...they sound like a bunch of grunge hangers on from 1989 (there 'sound' reminds me of The Dwarves mixed with Helios Creed and a splash of Buttholes TBH) Another visit me thinks...probably when i'm more bongoed...might make more sense then.

Twink - Lost Experimental Recordings 1970
Another new one to me, quite like it, even down to the Tolkien reading over tape loops. You could say 'ahead of it's time', but then again, how many more stoned sessions of Moog inspired rambling and drum bashing do you need ? (and I've already got quite a few).

Queens Of The Stone Age - R Rated
This is a future 'Classic', not a bad track on it, even the faux jazz rublings of the lread out sound great. Much better than the half baked Songs For The Deaf of recent times. I'm interested to hear those PJ Harvey/QOTSA sessions.

Fu Manchu - King of The road/ The Action Is Go
Excellent monster riffage of the so-cal surf monster variety. Love these two records to death, though don't quite know why?

Klaus Shultze - Irrlicht
Heard this for the first time, was OK, the second side is better than the first though.

Acid Mothers Temple - In C/ In E/In D
In E rawks like a monster builder, though i can take or leave the other monochord ramblings TBH.

Thighpaulsandra - Double Vulgar
Wasn't sure about this on first listen, it sounded to much like I Thighpaulsandra, though on repeat listenings, it's opened up nicely. Salmmer is my fav' so far, along with He Tastes Of The Sea..."an intense homoerotic listening experience" it said on pre-release, well other than a few obvious comments of asexual persuation ,I'm not sure i agree. Good nontheless.

Stereolab - Cobra And Phases..
Hooked on this all over again, I Lurrrvee Blue Milk to death, and just about any other track off it is fine and dandy to me.

From Creation - Loud And Heavy
Jap' reggae anyone??? This has a great version of Riders On The Storm, inna dub stylee on it, and has actually some of the best reggae I've heard in a while. Touching on all bases from Dub to Dancehall, and all wuith a slight Japanese Jah twang...great fun.

United Future Organisation - ???
More Jap oddness, though this is all 'Spy' themed. Some wonderful soundtracks to as yet unmade spy movies, lots of funky beats, jazzy brass and clavinets, Grrroooovvyyy!!

Erm, there's been loads more, but i can't right;y remember them all, so i won't try.

Have a good week, and enjoy the sunshine.
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Re: Ask Jude
Sep 15, 2003, 22:53
no it bloody well didn't...i think the post man is swiping it all.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Ask Jude
Sep 16, 2003, 02:22
aye, either that or I'm just shit and forgetful.

I'll try to remember to do them again dear

moey
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 09:36
Hoorah for the Belly - Squid!! ;o) Go for 'Super Connected' and 'Judas My Heart' next.. good old singalong...

This week I am mostly listening to:

Lamb - Fear of Fours (not suprising is it!!) Think it's a beautiful album and specially adore 'Fly' think its stunning.

Lamb - Lamb. Again stunningly beautiful. Love 'Gorecki'

Boris and his Bolshy Balalaika - Inspired by Squid (I give him Belly he gives me quite possibly the bizarrest album I have ever encountered ever! Gong on super duper strength acid and thats saying something)

The Darkness - Permission to Land. Sorry I just have a thing for men with high pitched voices, spandex and interesting tattoo's that disappear into spandex trousers ;o)...

Kristen Hersch - Murder, Misery then Goodnight. Another crackingly beautiful album.

Thats it I think....

nat xx
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 10:05
Boris and his Bolshy Balalaika - ooh can't wait to hear it!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index