Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03
Sep 15, 2003, 00:35
...which this week were:

Wire 'Chairs Missing'- primitive. Deep. Excellent;

Peter Gabriel 'Peter Gabriel' - the third album, easily his best;

Grateful Dead 'In The Dark' - from their underrated MTV period, fine album if time locked in the 80's;

John Foxx 'Metamatic' - where an artist answers his greatest imitator (Numan) by imitating him himself. Shameless wank;

Ultravox! 'Ha! Ha! Ha!' - where the aforesaid artist permeates his sick muse most effectively. Stunning. The single most unsung LP of the entire new wave;

Various 'Submarine Tracks And Fools' Gold' - fine compilation of early Chiswick label 45's. Takes me back;

Slowdive 'Just For A Day' - sounded better in '91 than now. A lot better. Ugh;

The Wendys 'Gobbledegook' - comments as per Slowdive above, with a double ugh;

Kiss 'Kiss Alive I' - that's better;

Richard Sinclair 'Live Tracks' - and that's better still. Knight this man, now.

Played a bit of Pat Metheny ('Travels'), Dave Brubeck ('Hidden Treasures') and Charlie Parker ('Complete Savoy & Dial Sessions') as well. But you don't like jazz* so I won't elaborate.

(*provocative comment purposely designed to inspire new thread)

Take care y'all

Dave W

P.S. R.I.P Johnny C.
242 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 00:40
Smog - Red apple falls. Brilliant beautiful lo-fi affair with a bit of brass. Just how I'd like to record my stuff

Primal Scream - Screamadelica. Always skate over this one cos its too obvious and overplayed, but loving it again. That weatherall bloke had a hand in it though.

Jimi Hendrix - Cornerstones. Reminds me that I still haven't got any of his studio albums. Shame on me. Always loved his more mellow 'drifting' and 'angel'.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves left. Time has told me that he is a rare find. Hey, do you reckon I could cut it as a journalist?

Miles Davis - Get up with it. Smashing mixture of ambient and funky, spacy and groovy rock.

Captain Beefheart - Trout mask replica. Only managed to listen to this all the way through twice. Worth it though, although not surprisingly my favourite Beefheart album.

David Bowie - The man who sold the world. loving 'supermen' and the title track muchly.

Brian Eno - Before and After Science. Great mix of idiot pop(kings lead hat) and the beginning of his ambient work (spider and I)

Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here. It's been a while, but I still love it. Why is it that virtually everyone that plays guitar can play 'wish you were here'? Didn't think much of Wyclef's version by the way.

That must be about it. It's not easy to remember.

is all

Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: but...
Sep 15, 2003, 01:19
Can't you be content with an a23 pod?
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Adolescent Sex
Sep 15, 2003, 02:01
Ah those Japan blokes making an appearance again. Some good stuff on there, Sylvian's voice is unrecognisable <waits for someone to say "that would be a good thing">

I reckon if you look in The Strokes record collections you will find the first two Japan albums. Just my hunch

moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Ask Jude
Sep 15, 2003, 02:03
Did that stuff I sent you turn up Jude?

moey
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Beebon
Sep 15, 2003, 10:56
Of course. Thanks.
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 13:40
Neil Young - Greendale: Astonishingly this is really good. Got that good Everybody Knows... Crazy Horse feel. Only a few cringy bits which for a concept album where he made up his own town is pretty amazing. All the songs stand alone really well too. Bet the film sucks though!

Beck - Sea Changes - Got this at the airport with the last of my Euros after a lovely holiday. Not bad so far but hardly listened to it.

Gorkys' Zygotic Mynci - Sleep/Holiday - as always some lovely songs but as an album just doesn't do it for me. Seem to have lost some of their texture after the excellent Spanish Dance Troupe.

Ben Folds - Rocking The Suburbs - dug out again and well worth it too!

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Neu! - Neu!
Led Zep - Four Symbols
Prince - Sign O' The Times, All Around The World In A Day
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 13:42
I like how "Wish You Were Here" starts with a cheap open-air tape recording of Gilmour playing his guitar.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 13:49
Moonchild is my favourite track on COTCK...I spoze I'm not like everyone else then! It makes me think of Crowley's book of the same name...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 16:36
The Beatles - Help! Hard Days Night & Magical Mystery Tour
Due to the Squidling’s suffering an advanced form of Beatlemania the above have been stuck in the CD player. Quite interesting to listen to them in detail again.

Belly – Star
Inspired by Nat and others raving, I revisited this. I’d forgotten what a gem it is. I love Slow Dog best.

Lev – Droneworks
My brother in law in action. He gave this CD to me this weekend. Synth drones with impro clarinet over the top. I hadn’t realised what similar furrows we are ploughing.

White Hills / the Puddles
Noisemakers contributions, and very good too. White Hills are this months Noise of the Month, and the Puddles are lined up for the next one. Lovely to get more great stuff from the States.

Tempest & Dice – Blood and Delay the Second
Latest recording with LL. Sounds better after giving it a break for a week or so. LL got some great graunchy stuttering synth parts.

Primal Scream – Echodek
Thanks for the review Seth Man! I picked this up for a fiver. Well worth it! Mind you, the doorbell effect gets a bit annoying after a while.

Lots more, but stuck here at work I can’t recall. I’ll have to write more next week...
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index