Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03
Sep 14, 2003, 16:47
oop! Just reading TPS's soundtracks made me remember an addition to mine...
Autechre - Gantz Graf DVD
(fucking amazing stuff)
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 16:58
thats a fucking mental DVD ive got that one too!

LL you HAVE to get the Exactshit DVD its the videos and mixes that they made for the tour earlier this year.

Available from the ninjatune shop only and they still have some left.

Go Shop
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 17:33
Three quarters of the American Recordings albums and a reader's digest boxed set of the Best of Johnny Cash. Particularly enjoying record 6, 'Johnny On a Sunday' which features all the god-bothering songs. Getting together a cover of 'When the man comes around' for the open mic night down the local this week.

'Reality' - Bowie. As mentioned elsewhere, this reminds me of (the song) 'Diamon Dogs' just a general feel. Why a "ripe" avacado?

'Village Fire'/'Stutter'/Sessions & Gig Bootleg - James. This band were good at one point, honest. Listening to the Peel sessions I remember how shocked I was when I first bought 'Stutter' and the songs seemed unfeasibly over-produced. Wonder what they'd've been like if they'd stayed on Factory? Those first two singles are amazing, and still fresh today.

Dany Gatton's 'Redneck Jazz Explosion'. Really haven't got a grasp of whether this is great of tosh. However, having fun trying to work out what's the guitar and what's the pedal steel.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 19:38
That Lee Perry/Dub Syndicate album has to be Adrian Sherwood's finest moment. It's a classic.

And I'm going to be on the lookout for some Denim at the library this week; you sing them up good!
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

That was meant to be addressed our MC
Sep 14, 2003, 19:41
Re: Lee Perry... And the fact that much of the rhythms were used on other ON U tracks shows just how much Perry's production makes it the great album it is!

NP; A Bauhaus radio sessions compilation!
Oh yeah!
Beebon
1375 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 20:31
Been quite a mixed week of music for me, so here goes:

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk: Because of it's length it's hard for repeat listens, yet when in the right mood, it hits the spot very well indeed.

Coil - Music to Play in the Dark Vol.1: Still cant decide which album i like most, but this does a lot for me, even got some live tracks tacked on at the end which really makes me want to see them play live!

Xenis Emputae Travelling Band - New Etheric Muse: Organic ambience (not in a "new age" sence of the word though).

Brian Eno - Another Green World: When i first listened to it a few times it really didnt do much for me, so i left it a few weeks and what do ya know? I've grown to love it!

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac: Really like this despite it sounding very AOR. The songs gradually sink in and last track "Im So Afraid" is pretty dark and chilling. Check it out if you like rumours and tusk.

Brian Eno - Apollo: Wanderful stuff and always works best for me late at night.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra: Still sounds different every time.

The Fall - Marshall Suite: Yeh! Very good recent album, though i think i prefer the unutterable overall. Just proves how vital the band really are compared to the rest who have been around as long!

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions... Good stuff

Neu 2: Arrrr music doesnt get much better for me :)

Radiohead - Hail To the Thief: Yup still like it as much as when i first heard it :)

Well, thats about all i remember for now :)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Beebon
Sep 14, 2003, 20:57
I'll leave it a few weeks before I send you a burn of the Camper Van Beethoven version of 'Tusk'.
I'd be interested to know what you make of it!

A question: What was the name of the Batman cartoon baddie that dressed like a court jester in red and black, a girl?
Zos
389 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 21:42
Been finally unpacking my CDs...

This weekend I was entertaining a punk, so among other things we span:

Rudimentary Peni - Death Church. Love this album even though it's a bit samey at times. 1/4 Dead, Cosmic Hears, Army of Jesus (sounds like Sexton Ming on vox!) are all faves. I see Nick Blinko is having his work shown alongsie Austin Osman Spare and other weirdos!

Antiworld - Collection. Fun but not exactly deep B-movie fixated deathpop.

Wire - Chair Missing. Still great...

An Albatross - We are the Lazer Viking. Totally off it's skull grind of hte Melt Banana-esque variety. 11 tracks in 8.5 minutes, can't help feeeling a bit cheated, but it's fun anyhow.

And when not entrtaining punks I've been listening to:

The Last Mushrooms - Invasion of the Energy Specters. Dug this one out for a few plays recently. Wonderful psychedelic 'rockultism' drawing on the cosmic ramblings of Kenneth Grant. Recommended (http://www.queasylistening.com)

King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King. Love it, but like everyone else I skip Moonchild every time.

Incredible String Band - Wee Tam. Not as good as The Big Huge or Hangmans, but still pretty cool, although I hate kazoo marches!

P
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 22:00
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power: Probabily the best British Guitar band at the moment, at times heavy, sometimes moody and sometimes beautiful & emotional. Only £7.99 from Amazon.co.uk.

Electronic - Electronic: Retread this Johnny Marr/ Bernard Sumner album. Sounds very much of the early 90s, though there are some good songs on it.

New Order - Republic: Dug out this disapointing patchy album to see if I missed anything. Still think Regret is a classic.

Funki Porcini - Fast Asleep: hyper nod ambience, current fave chil out album.

Pole - Pole 2: Dubby, glitchy electronica.

Lemon Jelly : 2nd album of easy listening melodic commercial grooves. Very nice to listen to.

Lee Scratch Perry & Friends - Open The Gate: Top dub double CD from the master.

Dom - Edge of Time: Wandering back on to the path of Kraut.
Zos
389 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 22:02
Edge of Time, what an album! Is it the cd resissue that you have? Just wondering whether to buy it fo rthe bonus tracks - are they any cop?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index