Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: Sountracks Of Our Lives w/e 14/09/03
Sep 16, 2003, 10:36
Hmmm Toad Stool Soup will be a classic I guarantee!!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: This Heat
Sep 16, 2003, 12:40
Well, things are the other way round for me. I've got the first This Heat album and haven't heard Deceit or Repeat yet (wish These Records would sort out the re-issues of them). And yes there is a krautrock connection to the sound. Certain tracks sound rhythmically like Can at their tightest and most mantric. Humans verging on sounding like machines. There are also tape manipulations and rough n ready recording techniques that sound like Faust. But the vocal tracks are something else entirely and I'm convinced Radiohead have had a good listen to them. Definitely ahead of their time and I'm sure you'd like the album. If you want to read another perspective there's a great review of it by Mare-C in the Unsung reviews.
Metalpub
130 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 12:58
This Heat have a small back catalogue which is at the moment out of print. These Records are going to repress them all soon. They re-released Deceit a couple of years ago without any fanfare or fireworks going off.
It is an incredible record. It's a more overtly political record than before, particularly concerned with the, then perceived, iminent threat of nuclear war. Musically, it sounds more finished than the first album, songs driven by propulsive drumming, loops, studio effects and impassioned vocals. I probably haven't done a very good job of "selling" the record or the group, but I stand by "Deceit" as being one of the best British rock records of the last twenty five years.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 13:35
would you like a copy of Deceit?
I'm sure I could manage that LL
Haven't played it in ages - remember buying it when it came out and being influenced by the word on the street about it - not an instant success with me tho.
Maybe I should relisten to it now given the strong affirmation by metalpub...
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: but...
Sep 16, 2003, 13:37
no - that just doesn't sound the same somehow.
I could have a pod pod tho (as in "prince of darkness" pod) - yeah - thanks for that mooneypuss
atwentythree
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 15:20
I think Deceit is their best album and also the most disturbing. Especially the last track with the melodica and the pained moans -- pretty much caps off the album's theme of imminent nuclear holocaust.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 15:33
I might as well add to this because last night a friend and some other people DJ'd at the Bug Jar last night and I brought along something for him to play--a 12" by Nyam Nyam, which was the band that featured Paul Trynka who had been editor of Mojo magazine. I had him play the song "So Long Ago", which is about friends you never hear from again.

I did enquire in Mojo's "Enlightenement" page if the editor was the same person who fronted Nyam Nyam. They did print my letter and also Trynka's admission of being in Nyam Nyam. I am a bit hurt that Trynka didn't send me a personal note showing his gratitude that I was a fan, since his songs did mean alot to me. Oh well...
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 15:48
I'd be keen on hearing some This Heat if anyone can swing it...used to have a tape from a radio show featuring This Heat and side projects,but it vanished long ago,and I truthfully don't recall much
Razmo Dave
110 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 16:57
Let's see now................bits & pieces of:

Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
Hippy trippy jazzy noodly gongy guitary pixie man

Circle - Sunrise
Finnish dudes go psych-metal!

Vivian Stanshall - Sir Henry at Rawlinson End
Piss funny!

Metallica - Master of Puppets and St.Anger
I know, they're corporate rock whores, but I've always been a fan, and you can't beat Master of Puppets........

Amon Duul 2 - Wolf City
I think it's their most prog album. It even sounds like The Who in places!

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head & Ill Communication
I'm not a hip hop fan, but I do like the Beasties occassionally.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Classic! I heard the new one this week, nothing new, but ok. You always know what you're getting with Maiden!

Dave
Razmo Dave
110 posts

Sep 16, 2003, 17:01
Oh yeah, and my usual mixed bag of Sabbath & Acid Mothers Temple related stuff, and some Can too!

Have fun in the sun!

Dave.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index