Register
Unsung Forum »
Worst Stage Names

124 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

putting the record, ahem, straight (pt2)
Sep 17, 2003, 13:10
You said: "I think you're doing something similar with Ice Cube -- he's a tremendous songwriting/storytelling talent and you try to make it sound like all he ever did was put down gay people."

Complete rubbish. You haven’t read what I wrote above when I said: "I wasn't singling out one line of Ice Cube's either. I hardly need to. There's enough crap spouted by others."
I AM NOT SINGLING OUT ICE CUBE! LOOK BACK OVER THE THREAD AND YOU’LL SEE IT WASN’T ME THAT EVEN MENTIONED HIM AS A HOMOPHOBE. Do I really need to make it any clearer?
Neither did I say that any of these people (including Ice Cube) aren’t talented or good at what they do. They’re doing a good job of showing a world in which white, conservative society manages to keep black people ghettoised and economically and socially oppressed. It’s just that I have a problem with casual and violent homophobia. I’m not so fucking one-dimensional that I think "all he ever did was put down gay people". Give me some credit.

"And while we're still on the subject -- I seem to recall Public Enemy had some songs that were 100% about gays -- "Meet The G That Killed Me" (about how gays spread AIDS) for instance. Again -- is it fair to PE to harp on "gay bashing" anytime their name is brought up? Aren't they about a lot more than that?"

No, and I didn’t and wouldn’t. I do realise that all these artists are about much more than this issue and it’s not fair to be accused of "harping on "gay bashing" anytime their name is brought up". You’re misrepresenting me. But I will say, if you write whole tunes like that DON’T be surprised that people will take offence and want to know why you’ve done it.

I get the impression you think this whole issue is an irrelevant and trivial thing. Well, I don’t think it’s the most burning issue in the world either, but if you were a gay man you might be inclined to stick up for yourself and question all this casual homophobia. Especially when you start hearing it coming out of the mouths of teenagers who live in your neighbourhood who’ve been influenced by their rap idols to shout abuse at people in the street. You might then start to think it’s not quite so innocuous as presenting "the fucked-up way it is right now" and that it’s actively making the problem worse.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index