Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

I heard
May 20, 2003, 20:41
those dub remixes, agreed they were poopoo apart from one that had a heaveeee slow-dub groove with "awha-slip" reversed big drum than. May have been a Pandaemonium one but it was without tacky sampled vocals. Hmmm (scuttles to old tape box to decipher own handwriting)...

Oooh, found this quote fromYouth:

"I believe that within each individual human being's mind and soul is an infinite amount of energy and power, that if tapped can change society. Part of what we're trying to express is our belief in the power of being able to change your external and internal reality by changing both of them, really, and becoming more political in your perspective on life, towards the environment, how you treat people, how you present yourself."

Emerson, Thoreau, Grizzly Adams?? Or white boys and megabucks?
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Ditch the football and relish the sounds
May 20, 2003, 20:48
Heretic!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

And the men...
May 20, 2003, 21:03
..Who hold their faeces,
Must be the ones who start
To fold a new reality
Closer to a fart,
Yeah,
Closer to the FART, YAY!
Ding dong ding dong dingdong diing dong ding.

(argh) Sorry.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: And the men...
May 20, 2003, 21:37
*cringing as I'm forced to recall that song*

'-)

Maaaaybe on a nostalic whim I could hear a few songs from their early albums,but eeesh does that voice get me now

I remember as an early teen once listening to an 8-track of Caress of Steel on an old player that had a plunger/detonator-like thing to had to push to advance tracks..I didn't realize this and thought the whole album was made up of these recurring lyrical and musical motifs~l~..rather enjoyed it that way

s'true
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 20, 2003, 22:14
I'm usually piss-poor at posting anything on the STOL threads, so thought I'd actually make an effort this week.

White Noise - An Electric Storm
Been meaning to get hold of this for ages, and now wish I'd heard it earlier. Barking mad pioneering electronic psych, with Delia Derbyshire and the sound of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop all over it. Very nuts, but catchy at the same time.

The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Regularly in the CD player this one. Still does the business.

Igor Wakhevitch - Donc
A not too cheap 6 CD box of 70's albums by French guy. Melding scary orchestral landscapes with krauty rock, musique concrete and electronic sounds. Really tripped out, and I've road-tested it for the purpose. I understand now why this guy is on the Nurse With Wound list of influences.

Spacemen 3 - Forged Prescriptions
2-CD set of the Perfect Prescription album with outakes and demo versions etc. Time slows down when it's playing. Comes with concilliatory sleevenotes by Sonic Boom.

Renaldo & The Loaf - Songs for Swinging Larvae
England's answer to The Residents. Totally bonkers album which is impossible to describe. The instrumentation will give a clue or two though: Guitar, Mandolin, Bouzouki, Flocdrum, Glockenspiel, Bamboo, Diverse Percussives, Ted's Metal Comb, Clarinet, Loops, Scalpel, Prepared Guitar, Hacksaw Blade.

This Heat - This Heat
Mentioned this on the Radiohead thread. Great pioneering album of mixed up studio wizardry, atmospheric songs and liberal experimentation. A mixture of live and manipulated studio stuff. Great, great ,great. Lots of new-found respect for what they did. Kind of a British Faust in some ways.

Bjork - Homogenic
Hadn't listened to this in a while. Better than I remembered. Played incessantly at work.

DJ Shadow - The Private Press
New things are revealed on this with every listen. Still love it.

Apart from that I've been listening to the NM3 contributions a lot, learning them all before the construction job. Severin's tape of recentish stuff has been disorientating me on the walkman. And I've listened to bits of my own stuff.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

PiL - 'cassette'
May 21, 2003, 08:36
What a great, great album. Full of fodderstomping glory!
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Killing Joke
May 21, 2003, 09:43
What a mighty band they were, especially live.

My mate had all their albums; I bought the odd single, 'Wardance/Pssyche', 'Requiem/Change', ...

We used to catch the train up to Manchester as 15/16 year olds whenever they played the old Polytechnic (Cavendish Square, I think) and had a route back to the station worked out which, if we ran at full pelt, meant we could stay as late as possible and catch the last train home.
Geordie used to frighten the fuck out of us! He used to get such a great sound out of his guitar, but he hardly moved his arms!
And Youth used to look dirty (not saucy dirty, unwashed dirty!)
Paul Ferguson (or Raven, can't remember ??) was such a powerful drummer.
Jaz just looked like a wanker!
We used to try to look as inocuous as possible, hoping no-one would notice we were obviously not 18! We never did have a problem getting in though.

Great days!
Metalpub
130 posts

May 21, 2003, 11:39
Hello, I've not done this before as I'm quite new.
Metalpub has auditioned the following recordings this past week:

Van Der Graaf Generator: Still Life
-listened on headphones as I drifted off to sleep

ZNR: Barricades 3
-Side 2 whilst washing up. Does anyone else know this record? Synth, piano, woodwinds and naive vocals from 1976.

Henry Cow: Unrest
-Polished a pair of shoes and made packed lunch for college

Merzbow: 1930
-Drowned out neighbour's shit 90s hardcore rave music

Pharoah Sanders: Black Unity
-2 saxes, 2 bassists, 2 drummers, originally released in quadraphonic. This is the stereo version; 37 minute screamathon.

Stockhausen: Es
-From "Aus Den Sieben Tagen" box set. Stocky and pals go bonkers with short-wave radio and trombone whilst cars hiss by their window.

Gavin Bryars: Sinking of the Titanic
-Recent purchase, original 1976 version produced by Brian Eno. Don't like it.

Just got paid today, gonna blow my wad on Charlemagne Palestine.
stray
stray
2057 posts

May 21, 2003, 14:17
I hate that Sinking of the titanic thing too, it is fucking awful. And the first eno/bryars collaboration 'Discreet music' is just..well.. alright I suppose. But its not exactly tricky to set up a delay loop now is it ppl.

However Gavin Bryars is really fucking good.. try
'The last Days' or 'Farewell to philosophy' and then 'Jesus Blood never failed me' (which features Tom Waits at the end). Heh, you've never heard Tom Waits that nervous.

Actually farewell to philosophy is probably the best, it has a lot of smaller works that are truly special 'By the vaar' is worth the price of the CD on its own. He's a damn good double bass player. Oh and dont let that ugly bastard on the cover put you off.
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: PiL - 'cassette'
May 21, 2003, 16:09
Yeah, it's one of my fav' PIL records from the 80's. Only just replaced my 'cassette' with 'album'...guess it'll be 'Compact Disc' in a few years.
Wasn't there a 'video' too ??
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index