Unsung Forum »
Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Murray
191 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 18, 2003, 19:36
U still totally and utterly, sickly and dotingly in love, Fitter? We haven't heard anything about this for awhile.
Cerberus
137 posts

May 18, 2003, 20:55
I'm really scared.
I think those Outrageous Cherry cds and the Van Der Graaf used to be mine as I sold them to VE a couple a months ago.
Couldnt really get into the Outrageous Cherry albums - good stuff like but just never quite hit it off!
Sold the Van Der Graaf one cos I found it on vinyl.
Ho Hum - small world it seems
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 18, 2003, 21:11
20 Golden Showers/Trance Arse - Bubonique. Erm, either maniac genius or absolutely unlistenable tosh. I love a lot of this stuff. Includes Sean Hughes signing 'Jelly Pop Perky Jean'.

Torture Garden - Naked City. John Zorn in crazy thrash metal mode. Dug out a pile of tapes as AQK towers now has wheels. This is surprisingly good driving music.No, honest.

Great Balls Of Fire OST. Still blistering versions by the Killer from a much maligned film. His duet with Dennis Quaid is strangely moving.

20 Mothers. I'll take one of these for ten of your Jehovahkills any day. so, nyah ;0P More driving.

S/T - Dorothy Love Coates & The Original Gospel Harmonettes. I cannot get over this woman's voice. This is a truly truly wonderous thing.

A big pile of downloaded Hank Williams. Trying to get to grips with his stuff. Think I'm beginning to understand.

Flip Your Wig - Husker Du. Still the album that shows this band off to their best. Worth the price of entry for 'Makes No Sense At All' alone.
Beebon
1375 posts

May 18, 2003, 21:13
Hey!

Been a strangely more quiet than usual week for me really, but this is what i heard of note:

Blur - Think Tank: Still like it!
The Fall - 2G+2 and Hex Enduction Hour
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Love - Love and Forever Changes
Amon Tobin - Out from Out Where

That was about it i reckon!

Have nice week peeps!

Steve
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Spookment
May 18, 2003, 21:26
HAHAHA excellent. Well they were a good deal as far as I was concerned. Rest assured they have gone to a good home. The Outrageous Cherry stuff only appeared in the last few days at VE.
One of the OC (Spectral thingy) albums was still sealed in plastic so unless you wrap everything you sell like a picnic it may not have been yours.
Otherwise...thanx! ;-)
Cerberus
137 posts

Re: Spookment
May 18, 2003, 21:35
Ah, not mine then!
Still, a bit coincidental - which brings me to this - Poptones!
Check out some of the other stuff on Poptones,
If you like the OC stuff then look out for Oranger (Quiet Vibration Land) - its more poppy in places but still quite good Psychy indie rock!
If you like the Teenage Fanclub you'll love Cosmic Rough Riders (Listen To The Melodic Sunshine) and possibly Captain Soul (Beat Your Crazy Head Against The Sky) - all good stuff, all on Poptones records which will never replace Creation but bless Mr McGee for trying!
Howden
Howden
216 posts

May 18, 2003, 22:31
This week;

Blur 'Think Tank'
Ben Lee 'Something To Remember Me By'
The Mekons 'The Curse of The Mekons'
Cornershop 'When I Was Born For The 7th Time'
Chemical Brothers 'Exit Planet Dust'
Julian Cope 'Jehovahkill'
Virgin Prunes 'Sons Find Devils'
Matthew Sweet 'Time Capsule'
Bob Hund 'Ett Fall & En Losning'
Wire 'Send'
Caetano Veloso 'Estrangeiro'
The Gladiators 'Crucial Cuts'

I'm going to dig out PIL's 'Cassette' to play in the car I've borrowed for work tomorrow.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: My love life...
May 19, 2003, 00:23
Oh yes, Murray, and thanks for asking. Indeed, I have my lovely Margaret to thank for enlightening me in the joys of the early Joni Mitchell catalogue, not to mention reminding me of how good CSNY and Buffalo Springfield were (and I forgot to add the latter's 'Retrospective' comp to my Soundtracks list this week). And she shares my passion for Bob Dylan, John Martyn, Cat Stevens, Nick Drake, Al Stewart, Loudon Wainwright and most of the other late 60's/early 70's singer songwriters I dig.

At risk of offending the discerning ladies who contribute to this sublime site, I have until now never known a woman who gets as much sheer enjoyment from music as I do. All the women I have known have veered toward the 'non-music' areas of Phil Collins, Celine Dion and Andrew Lloyd Webber (aarrggghhh). Maybe I was just unlucky in that respect. What a revelation to have found someone who is not only intelligent, caring, beautiful and kind but who also likes nothing more than to curl up in front of the stereo and chill to great music. A true soul mate indeed. My cup runneth over.

Only one snag, she doesn't like Jethro Tull. Come to think of it, I've never known any woman who likes Jethro Tull. What is it about Tull that ladies don't like?
moey
moey
770 posts

Pointy Shoes are back!
May 19, 2003, 00:25
hehehe does that mean I am briefly in vogue again? happens about once every 20 years or so

moey
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

May 19, 2003, 00:32
It does indeed amaze me how often our musical paths coincide, Joolio - and not necessarily just in the areas where I know we share interests (Tull, Purple, etc). What's even more amazing is that in football terms we are polar opposites. But I don't talk football anymore, being an erstwhile follower of both Sunderland (resounding bottom of Premier League and relegated) and Grimsby Town (resounding bottom of Div One and relegated). Aaarrrggghhh.

Do as I do, my friend. Ditch the football and relish the sounds instead. And stick with 'Passion Play' -it's a tough nut to crack, but it has some great moments for all its unbelievable pretentiousness.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index