Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Stella Artois is not Vegetarian
Jan 03, 2003, 17:28
Yay for Mono!
Only record shop locally that you can wander in and find more than 10 different AMT releases. That would be my kind of business if i didn't do what i do - running a vegan pub/resturaunt/record shop/brewery and seller of ethical wares.
Can also go to their sister venue "Stereo" for vegan food and live music
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

so what beer is veggie?
Jan 03, 2003, 17:47
Yep, isinglass is used in many beers, especially bitters and real ales.

Lagers tend to use it less, so it is a bit of a surprise, and Stella's singled out in the U-Know news not to be unfair to them, but cos it's such a common brand and I know loads of veggies who have an 'innocent till proven guilty' attitude to alcohol.

Samuel Smiths, Heineken Export, Kaltenberg, and all beers brewed in Germany are definitely vegan.

A friend who's done the brewery tour at Black Sheep asked them, and apparently their stuff is vegan in bottles but not in cask (finings again).

Ciders also commonly use animal finings. That said, all Bulmer ciders are vegan.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

wine
Jan 03, 2003, 17:53
Red wine sometimes has blood meal added to it for body and colour, and is often fined using isinglass, bone marrow or gelatine.

Health food shops, and increasingly supermarkets, sometimes do ones that are definitely OK.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

An authoritative list
Jan 03, 2003, 17:59
The Vegan Society site has this

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/info/info28.html
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

how about...
Jan 03, 2003, 18:20
Old Speckled Hen? I know, it doesn't sound veggie does it

: )
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 03, 2003, 20:20
Can't sus if you're taking the piss. Where's Stereo. I knew Mono was meant to be a venue, but licensing and the shape of the building was meant to be a hassle.

Say what you like about Stephen Pastel (and believe me I do) he keeps a fine record shop.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: how about...
Jan 03, 2003, 20:23
That Vegan Society thing says:
"As a general rule traditional, cask-conditioned beers ('real ales') are usually clarified (cleared) with isinglass finings."
I'm afraid the Hen comes under that description (or else real ale pubs would force you to chew of your neighbours leg while drinking it - real ale = real men).
caergog
393 posts

Re: so what beer is veggie?
Jan 03, 2003, 22:53
i think 'doubledragon' from the felinfeol (excuse spelling ) brewery is veggie. i shall have to check next time i speak to my local landlady!
love caroline
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 00:24
Stereo is the new name of West 13th out near Finneston - what used to be McChuills Out West I believe. Same people run it as Mono. Has the smallest stage I've ever seen - saw Maher Shalal Hash Baz there in the summer - all 9 or 11 or whatever of them crowded onto an area the size of a toilet cubicle (almost)...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 18:57
Saw about the name changew in taday's Herald. I saw Edward Barton there. All one of him squezed onto the stage. Really liked it, but need to avoid certain peoples in the area.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index