Joey Barton - If I were PM...

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Joey Barton - If I were PM...
Feb 26, 2015, 11:29
(After a little further marination on this topic just now).

Let's accept we manifest our need for stories in the creation of religions and state institutions, like Communism. It's evident we, right now, are enslaved to fairy tales, to bow-wrapped plots, otherwise so many of us wouldn't watch as much TV as we do, read as many airport novels as we do. They consume a gargantuan chunk of our day, not to mention our nights, and they could be serving as a stand-in (alongside the shark-eyed celebs we know so much about) for the pantheon of dead Gods. (Or perhaps it's this surfeit of new stories which killed the old big ones?)

I do feel with myths at the helm, there'll always be people who feel like they're stuck in another man's story. Believing in something passionately also feeds our hegemonic side; even as a vegan, or a nature-lover, I have to constantly fight back the urge to stand up on a pulpit and scream to the crowd about the error of their ways. I don't like the idea of one size fits all stories, or systems (although certain values need to hold true to everyone). Perhaps we could sate our need for stories by urging everyone to write and read each other's own creations? It may work, or something not too dissimilar. I've fallen on your side in the mythopoeic argument before, even when talking to you, but for the sake of dialectics I'm trying something new. I'm hardly one of those science-worshipping atheists with a void the size of Heaven gnawing at their guts, who replace one set of jargon for another. It seems only natural that people will eventually develop a short-hand for myths; their wits will quicken enough not to need to read the whole fable to pick up the moral. That's the way things like Aesop's Fables were designed- kids would grow old enough to just instinctively not tell lies and realise slow and steady wins the race. In a way, I think we're doing that already. Not every act of compassion in the world can be attributed to religion. Despite the fact that a minority get a remunerative gain by keeping the war machine chugging, the majority of people, atheists and religious alike, tend to be good apples. Compassion just needs to edge its way into people's attention, beyond their current communal myths of zombies and meth addicts.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index