22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2015, 17:35
Re: Joey Barton - If I were PM...
Feb 25, 2015, 17:32
Well I think the cool (and scary) thing about being a person is we can shape ourselves however we want. Natural selection doesn't apply to us because we're no longer all that natural. In just a few decades we can revolutionise our lifestyles, and in turn our lifestyles can change who we are.

This could be the control freak autodidact in me who never went to school speaking, but I think it's essential to push against the crushing weight of our instincts. Warfare and using our environment (including animals and people) as tools also comes natural to us, but it's of paramount importance that we not let it do so.

State systems and myths rarely admit room for our changing lifestyles and minds. No myth is future proof. They also tend to be a nightmare for those benighted souls who slip through the cracks, for whom those set-ups, and those stories, just don't work. I don't see why taking the Universe as it is and deifying it the way it truly deserves should be harmful. I personally sport a Gaia theory, but I know in my heart of hearts it's just a prop I'm using, and I think that knowledge and that prop together helps keep me balanced. Balance is probably the key word here- we're off-kilter at the moment, but does it require religion to regain a steady footing? I'm not too sure we were all that steady with the supreme reigning supreme (though it had its many benefits). Perhaps that "be the change you wish to see" thing may work. People osmosing a more conscientious lifestyle onto one another by example. Empirically witnessing the advantages of selflessness, of bridging that barrier between ourselves and other people (and the natural world), may make it more likely to materialise. Or failing that, get a better myth.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index