Brian Eno on Gaza and the American view

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: George Galloway
Aug 07, 2014, 17:21
I'd imagine his stance on Scottish independence may have something to do with the fact he's an MP of an English town.

[I know this was s'posed to be about Eno, but-] He's also gone and declared Bradford an Israel-free zone (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-galloway-declares-bradford-an-israelfree-zone-9653894.html). I think S.A. apartheid-style boycotting is utterly essential. It'll be a tangible statement to the effect of, "We, The West, have finally come around, after 30 years of misinformation and wrongheadedness. Now we know the truth, disentangled of internal Israeli propaganda, we're never going back." Boycotting goods at least is essential; not so sure about boycotting actual people. I get the motivation behind it- the emissaries of the Israeli government spread confusion wherever they go- but there seem to be quite a few Israelis who live in Israel but are very much against the direction their government has taken over the last few decades (i.e. the guys who funded Five Broken Cameras). The same way that there are English who loathe the Tories (OK, it's not quite the same...) It used to be that left-wingers, and new agers, would go to Israel on a kibbutz, and feel like they're getting in touch with some kind of earthy, spiritual self. Then again, I suppose, if you're truly aware of the kidnapping, the torture, the indiscriminate haranguing, seizure and murder, your country is enacting, and has been for some time, you'd probably just leave. Perhaps. Anyway, I'm all for some kind of boycotting in any case, and hope the momentum for it grows.

U-Know! Forum Index