The French banning the niqab/burka

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 15, 2011, 10:42
Its not "insenstive" so much a simply to pander to the extreme right wing in french politics. In the same way Cameron made that speech yesterday about immigration, its no more than an attempt to win votes from those who'd rather note vote fascist but will do because they feel so strongly about immigration, unless they feel listened to by the right in politics
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 11:10
You have hit the nail squarely on the head. I find your post to be rather lovely!
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 12:25
handofdave wrote:
I totally get where you're coming from... I was raised by a feminist.

But at the same time, there's something a bit off about this law... it is very specifically aimed at a certain ethnic group.

I could easily be accused of being a bit wonky, but I take blind justice very seriously... a government should not be able to arbitrarily persecute people.

If they'd wanted to they could have framed the law to say "Nobody can hide their face in public without a permit, as in the case of parade performers".

It really would have been that simple. An equally applied law. But noooo.. they had to make it a France vs. Muslim issue...

It is my understanding that this is exactly what they HAVE done - it is illegal to cover your face in public. The law may be aimed at the burka, but it applies to all coverings. Some people in the demonstrations against it were non-muslims just wearing masks. They have had to make a legal exception for motorcyclists.

Tecnically, if you wheeled a motorcycle and wore a burka, you'd probably be ok.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 19:44
toasted-whippet wrote:
if you wheeled a motorcycle and wore a burka, you'd probably be ok.

So.... you have to be Darth Vader to qualify for the loophole, essentially....
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 19:46
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
It's a clash of 2 sets of ugliness.

Nicely summarized.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Apr 15, 2011, 20:38
Apr 15, 2011, 20:38
Yes, the law does it seems, apply to *all* face coverings in public places.
With exceptions of carnivals, etc.
All we're reading about is the effect it has on those muslims choosing to go for face coverings.
A bit indulgent of the press, as usual.
x
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Apr 16, 2011, 18:16
there's not that much difference at all, they're both being brainwashed by negative influences.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2011, 22:30
Apr 16, 2011, 22:25
joudicca wrote:
there's not that much difference at all, they're both being brainwashed by negative influences.

I cannot imagine a woman in a Burqa would read or listen to or be given permission by a man to contemplate the great Rumi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWz4fRIrHI&feature=share

I would be most interested to know how the shit that has hit the fan has come to pass. Even my muslim friend from 41 years ago would be uncomfortable to tell me true, he is always being on the defensive when he misses the point, as his 1978 dreams of going back to Pakistan with the fruits of his western education are well and truly shattered.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2011, 23:23
Apr 16, 2011, 23:22
And do you believe in both cases that lack of choice is about the same?
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Apr 16, 2011, 23:55
it's not as simple as that.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index