The French banning the niqab/burka

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 14, 2011, 12:18
Well, to be fair, allowing women to be covered from head to toe isn't doing anyone any favours, is it?
Especially since there are millions of muslim women whose lives are made even more miserable by the burka which they are FORCED to wear in some countries.
When it comes down to it, I think a certain section of muslims are doing a pretty good job of alienating themselves.
Perhaps you should visit parts of the North of England and see this in action for yourself!!
And don't bloody start having a go at me please, I'm too old for this shit!! x
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 14, 2011, 12:44
Banning articles of clothing is, frankly, not what a government should be doing with its powers unless it's sandals with socks, you hear me Cope?!?!.

I would imagine being forced to venture out without them could be extremely traumatic and psychologically damaging for burka-wearing women.
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Edited Apr 14, 2011, 13:02
Apr 14, 2011, 13:00
True, but how would one be able to tell that they'd been upset?????!!!!!
I've got it.
Worzel Gummege (SP?) style masks. A smiley one, sad one, etc etc.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 14, 2011, 16:23
Still, should governments - and by governments I mean supposedly of the sort in the West that are there to serve the people -be using their powers to effectively tell muslims or you or me or anyone what they can or cannot wear?

I think not meself.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Apr 14, 2011, 23:56
Apr 14, 2011, 23:52
Moon Cat wrote:
Still, should governments - and by governments I mean supposedly of the sort in the West that are there to serve the people -be using their powers to effectively tell muslims or you or me or anyone what they can or cannot wear?

I think not meself.

That's what it comes down to. A clear view of the matter can only conclude one thing... how people dress is a very personal matter, tied in with personal choice, culture, etc.... how can any democracy that ostensibly exists to protect the rights of the individual and the group also allow institutional repression of 'select' costumes? It's really totally preposterous if you look at it and the whole damn thing should be thrown out and repealed.

This whole thing's a slippery slope that could end up whiplashing the French courts... after all, if Burkas are oppressive to women, aren't thongs and high heels? The French are historically pretty happy to drape nude females all over the place in their art and film... is that art, or is it an objectification of women?

How people present themselves to the world is not a matter for a government to decide.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 00:01
Ditto

8)
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 00:09
I totally get where you're coming from... I was raised by a feminist.

But at the same time, there's something a bit off about this law... it is very specifically aimed at a certain ethnic group.

I could easily be accused of being a bit wonky, but I take blind justice very seriously... a government should not be able to arbitrarily persecute people.

If they'd wanted to they could have framed the law to say "Nobody can hide their face in public without a permit, as in the case of parade performers".

It really would have been that simple. An equally applied law. But noooo.. they had to make it a France vs. Muslim issue...
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Apr 15, 2011, 00:32
Apr 15, 2011, 00:13
I think there's a slight difference between women often forced to wear burkas and those who wear thongs and high heels.

8)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Apr 15, 2011, 02:10
Apr 15, 2011, 01:35
I observe from some of my Muslim friends that I grew up with in early 1970's Aston in Birmingham that the Quaran does not indicate within the text the wearing of this garment. It says that women should dress modestly. Whilst I was growing up I did not see any of these garments with a woman striding inside: however my friend's (he born in 1961) mother wore 'something' when she was in India/Pakistan (she lived in the same place before and after partition) and when she came to Birmingham in 1962 or 1963 she asked her husband if she should continue to wear it and he advised her that she should not. I have got a lot of respect for my friend's dad - he fixed up Hawker Hurricanes during the global conflict. As for my friend I think he has had a lot to come to terms with as a devout so called moderate muslim and it ain't been easy since 11/9 and this garment issue is part of it.

There is a reason why young women in the west are wearing these rather grotesque garments, and it not because of trendiness, there is also a reason why the French are all uppity and neurotic about it. It's a clash of 2 sets of ugliness.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 15, 2011, 10:24
Yes, I have read that the face covering is a 'fierce' interpretation of the religion, so I suppose theoretically, on the same grounds, Xtians could go around freely slaughtering men who have beards. Infact, there are no boundaries where that sort of thing's concerned.
I like Hand Of Dave's suggestion that a blanket ban on face coverings(with certain provision for art)in public would have been a better way ahead.
I've said how I feel about the whole 'face covering'issue, don't need to go over that one again.
This leglislation does however seem willfully insensitive.
x
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index