Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: NEW FEATURE: Advice to Demonstrators After the Trashing of Millbank
Nov 17, 2010, 18:17
It is not relevant.
The endorsement is clear.
Also, anyone here that thinks that article is only a warning to those who fear they may have been photographed; must truly be low on DNA.
No one has reason to fear being photographed.
However, it is quite a different matter to be captured on media commiting a felony act.
It is quite a thing to endorse it also.
But viva the revolution and all that.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:21
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/54052647_62b6be1848.jpg
landells
landells
680 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:25
Myers wrote:
I thought it was a bit lAcking too Keith. Which is a shame, because what there was, I thought was well written. But as you say, very one sided.

Of course it is one sided: it’s not an analysis of the protest; it’s some practical advice for people who are worried about getting arrested... did you expect it to end with “but with all that said and done, you're all a bunch of bastards and hopefully you'll rot in jail for all eternity.” ?
keith a
9572 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:25
I'm not clinging to anything. I'm just interested in what he has to say about it.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:29
Yeah, something like that...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Nov 17, 2010, 18:44
Nov 17, 2010, 18:44
For the sake of those who don't seem to get why Merrick posted that article, can I point out the U-Know mission statement thingie:

U-KNOW! is the place for practical idealists, here to inform and inspire. A place for all you big dreamers, radical believers and humane revolutionaries to arm and affirm your righteous heart in the quest to overthrow power worship and the dollar culture.

“Yet my Mind was not at rest, because Nothing was Acted, and thoughts run in me that Words and Writing were all Nothing and must Die, for Action is the Life of all and if thou dost not Act, thou dost Nothing”
— Gerrard Winstanley, ‘A Watchword to the City of London’, 1649

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/uknow/

I'm not saying that I agree with fire extinguishers being thrown (and neither was Merrick). Merely that linking to an article that had been supressed by our jolly police force was completely within the scope of the site remit.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Nov 17, 2010, 19:12
Nov 17, 2010, 18:50
dodge one wrote:
Your U-Know article is primarily a primer on how to cover your tracks after commiting felonious acts.

Absolutely. I don't conflate legality with morality, and on the occasions where people commit morally justified crimes, I like to see them evade prosecution.

dodge one wrote:
anyone here that thinks that article is only a warning to those who fear they may have been photographed; must truly be low on DNA.
No one has reason to fear being photographed.

Nobody need fear being photographed as long as they trust the intentions of those doing the photographing, and the people the photos are handed on to.

The police have branches such as NETCU and NPOIU who keep files on activists and certain people do get targetted, irrespective of the threat they pose to others, just because of their beliefs. Many people do get their houses raided and have their stuff confiscated and destroyed even when there's no court case that follows; lack of evidence or political policing?

And then there is the concept that there are things that are morally justified that are illegal, ie that people should get away with yet the police would want to incarcerate them for.

dodge one wrote:
You Stink.

Thankyou for that thoughtful and consdiered remark. How it helps me to see the error of my ways, and encourages everyone reading to see your point and agree with you.
keith a
9572 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:50
That's all well and good, Squid. It's just that I expect integrity, too.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 18:52
keith a wrote:
I just find Merrick's posts to be one sided

This is a refrain for you of late, and again makes me wonder why you think I'd post things that I don't believe in or agree with.

keith a wrote:
and economical with the truth.

Examples?

keith a wrote:
No mention of fire extinguisher chucking in your article, is there?

Er, no. Why should there be? It's designed to help the several hundred or so people who occupied the building and the hundreds more who helped them, all but one of which had nothing to do with the fire extinguisher.

I didn't see the discussion over at the Pump until today, so haven't pitched in there.

I think the dropping of the fire extinguisher was an appalling and reprehensible thing to do, hugely disproportionate to the events and it would not have needed a lot of bad luck to have caused a head trauma that killed someone. As such, I condemn it.

But no more so than the batoning of heads by police, which also risks death by head injury, and happened to far more people that day and is much more premeditated, yet gets little criticism.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 19:13
Where's the lack of integrity?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index