U-Know! Forum »
witchcraft

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Freyja
22 posts

witchcraft
Jul 15, 2002, 22:56
It's about time Pagans and practising witches were able to speak freely of their beliefs. I know society has moved a long way forward, but still, there are alot of ignorant people out there who from their intolerance to paganism, drive witches into being secretive. Isn't it about time this sacred spiritual, religion was recognised as 'normal'? After all, the genuine pagans believe in looking after the earth and our effects on it. We celebrate festivals which the Christians stole from us, worship nature, enjoy Mother earth and keeping our existance-consumer damage as minimal as possible. Surely, in 21st century, with all our technology, media etc.. that people cannot STILL think that we are devil-worhippers (Christians in denial) and that we sacrifice babies, have wild orgies etc...
Pagans should be comfortable saying that they are Pagan, not feel humble or defensive about it.
Anyone our there feels the same way? Any comments?
PaulB
188 posts

Re: witchcraft
Jul 15, 2002, 23:45
I think people should be happy doing whatever it is they want to be doing. Paganism isn't my particular bag as such, although the minute wild orgies get added to the list, please call me :)
Freyja
22 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 00:02
well, we're always crying out for new sex slaves.
:o)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 09:20
Surely it's about time that ALL religions were made illegal!?

Not one of them is truly any good and they are all infected to some extent by power seekers who will use people's undying faith and belief to their own advantage.

I know that the way you describe a pagan's good side is what we all want to see people behave like, but so is the ideal of Christianity (at least seven of the ten commandments aren't all that bad really as a way of life).

First of all to gain 'acceptance' stop calling yourself a 'pagan'. What is that? A word invented by Christians! Call yourself a Worshipper of Gaia or of Athena or of Dyonisis whatever, but don't use their negative word for yourselves.

Secondly STOP HIDING! Shout about it. How much work do you do personally to heighten awareness amongst the populace?

I'm a non-believer and proud of it. I believe that gods exist - they have to because so many people believe in them that they have been given existance. As soon has everyone stops believing in them though they disappear - gone - poof - no more! I treasure the earth beneath my feet and care for all that surrounds me, but I do not need to attach a belief system to it as told to me by some heirachy of priesthood.

My religion? ... common sense ... the best one there is - and I ain't very good at practicing that most of the time.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 11:39
Too right 4W. And.... Move to Milton Keynes where wicca is recognised proper and is even provided with it's own land to worship on. So... with yr name Freyja r u more of a vitki (scandinavian belief.. not wiccan) or r u wiccan (gardnerian type of person). sorry, I'm just being nosy.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 13:02
I think it's only the most extreme born-again school of christian who believes that wiccans do the horrors u describe. Most ppl, and even the press (if they steer clear of the Satan! word) are of the opinion that wicaans are mostly fluffy and harmless.

4W is right however about 'Pagan' being a negative and insulting word, however, I see no problem with it being appropriated as a means of self description. appropriating hate speech is a damn fine way of disarming it. A good example is the term 'Christian', this was originally seen as an insult (derive from 'chrits-one' or somesuch, can't remember my born-again phase that well). It first emerged as a term a good time after Christ died, somewhere around the Book of Acts when that mad bastard Paul (who never met the geezer) was running round, inventing laws, dogma and generally fucking over everything Christ said. Unfortunately Pauls laws are now the understood face of Christianity, and Christian is now a positive word in the general consensus
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 13:24
>> appropriating hate speech is a damn fine way of
>> disarming it

As Ice-T exemplifies everytime he calls himself a nigger.

It is a valid point. One way to rid yourself of a potential hate word is to adopt it and accept it and thus prove the sticks and stones routine ... except they may then come after you with sticks and stones :-(
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: pagan
Jul 16, 2002, 14:07
"Actually" 4W, pagan isn't a christian word - it's from the latin for 'country dweller'. I don't think that's that bad? though there's the touch of the townie/bumpkin thing about it ?
I suppose heathen is the same kind of word - someone who lives on the heath? or perhaps I'm extrapolating too far.
Anyway, that's as far as I'd want to describe myself, no particular laws/rules/rituals, just aware of the land.

If you ask me the worst religion in the world at the moment is mindless consumerism.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: pagan
Jul 16, 2002, 14:16
Heathen does indeed mean 'of the heath'.

Thanks for the etymology of pagan. I stand corrected on that point.

But for further reading:
pagan - 14c., from L.L. paganus "pagan," from L. "villager, rustic, civilian," from pagus "rural district," originally "district limited by markers," thus related to pangere "to fix, fasten," from I.E. base *pag- "fix." Religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word is older than that in this sense, and is more likely from use in military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which the Christians picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (cf. milites "soldier of Christ," etc.).

Does that last part make sense? It seems to imply that the word 'pagan' was first attched to Christians.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 16, 2002, 19:58
I happen to think that, whatever the sources, pagan is a very sexy kinda word. Try it out....Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jew, Methodist, Catholic and so on......pretty dry really. Now say pagan...ggrrrr!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index