IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2009, 09:52
Re: in a Stalinist country, take 'populism' with a one ton grain of salt
Jun 27, 2009, 21:07
dave clarkson wrote:
Well put.

I think Jim was implying that there is a tendency for many artists, musicians to over romanticise.

The whole idea of wearing a Stalin badge seems to me very naive and an act of capitalism in itself by the choice and freedom for being able to do such a thing.

8)

Many of the people I knew in the mid 70s to mid 80s who would characterise themselves as revolutionaries would happily sign up for a rag bag of global causes with the the discernment of a Harrods sales shopper raiding the bargain bins.

These were the very same people who would fret over the ethnicity of a criminal or the religion and nationality of a bomber. Praying all the while that the perp was not "one of theirs". Talking endlessly about the rights of workers while displaying the exact same kind of misanthropy that you find on the far right. The same aversion to trusting people to determine their own destinies.

And yes you are right all this had absolutely the same dynamic and lack of critical accuity as you find in partisan rock fandom. Though to my knowledge the NME, Sounds and Melody Maker never ignored a seven, eight or nine figure body count while trying to create the utopian record collection.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index