in a Stalinist country, take 'populism' with a one ton grain of salt

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: in a Stalinist country, take 'populism' with a one ton grain of salt
Jun 26, 2009, 12:35
Wow... this is getting heated. I don't disagree with what Jim said originally.. I think there is a naivety with some westerners regarding communist ideals vs. communist reality.

Exchanging capitalism for communism as a solution to it's primary illness- greed- is like treating that greed as a mental disorder instead of a moral failing.

Communism, as it's actually manifested thru history, not in theory, but in practice, keeps displaying the same unfortunate tendency towards suppression. Capitalist societies, for all their failings, tend to remain remarkably tolerant of intellectual and social freedoms.

Anyone from the west thinking that the grass is greener in a communist state is seeing what they want to see, not what actually exists. As for whatever jealousy, or even legit criticism of wealth that some would hold against the rich, I don't have much to add other than their personal lot is, I suspect, far better than their counterparts on the other side of most communist borders. Even in 'soft' communist states like Cuba, you cannot criticize the state without risking imprisonment. This sort of institutional denial by coercion allows corruption to breed no less so than in capitalist societies.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index