Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2009, 16:04
Re: in a Stalinist country, take 'populism' with a one ton grain of salt
Jun 26, 2009, 16:03
handofdave wrote:
Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? Who writes this new constitution?

I might give it a shot. How about you? I hope lots and lots of people do.

See I'm not sure that I'm communicating the central point here... there is no option. We are involved in the wholesale destruction of our ecology. The limits of our natural resources are being reached. The way society is currently structured is fundamentally flawed. If we do nothing, just allow the selfish desires of the wealthy to dictate how we focus our strength and energy, then we are lost. And we are condemning all who follow us to a far darker world than it needs to be.

So we need alternatives. And by definition those alternatives will be authoritarian, for the very problem they must solve is that of a lack of restraint.

handofdave wrote:
Who enforces it?

An agency tasked with enforcing it. Exactly the same as we do now. We currently have laws which are enforced by an authority. We would continue to do so. Except some of those laws would not be subject to popular mandate.

handofdave wrote:
How do you get everyone on board thru persuasion and not coercion?

In an ideal world, you produce a compelling argument, present it to the public and spark a popular revolution. In reality, you produce the compelling argument, wait for the inevitable socio-economic collapse and hope it gets adopted by a desperate populace.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index