Stop Nick Griffin

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Vote Against The BNP
May 25, 2009, 12:43
I've written a short piece urging a vote against the BNP. I've put it up as the new News item in U-Know, but I think it's a tad more effective on my blog where it's got proper links and the picture of Griffin in a White Power T-shirt.

http://bristlingbadger.blogspot.com/2009/05/vote-against-bnp.html

Please feel free to send the link on and/or cut&paste it anywhere and everywhere.
charlbury
81 posts

Re: Stop Nick Griffin
May 26, 2009, 12:07
PMM wrote:
Will definately make the effort to go and vote Green this year then Merrick. Far more value to that than spoiling my paper.

In fact voting for a fringe party will be as much use as a chocolate teapot - the way the voting system works, if you vote for a party that gets less than the Nazis in your region, you may as well not have voted at all.

So you probably want to think about voting something other than Green. The Liberal Democrats will come ahead of the BNP in all regions and could use your vote!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

May 26, 2009, 12:12
I disagree. It's important to push the BNP as low down the list as possible. A vote for the mainstream parties (who will score higher than the BNP anyway) will make no difference to the BNP's position. If my vote pushes the Greens (or UKIP for that matter) above the BNP, then they will miss out on the playoffs and have to spend another season in the Conference.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 26, 2009, 12:14
charlbury wrote:
PMM wrote:
Will definately make the effort to go and vote Green this year then Merrick. Far more value to that than spoiling my paper.

In fact voting for a fringe party will be as much use as a chocolate teapot - the way the voting system works, if you vote for a party that gets less than the Nazis in your region, you may as well not have voted at all.

So you probably want to think about voting something other than Green. The Liberal Democrats will come ahead of the BNP in all regions and could use your vote!

I'm afraid you've completely failed to understand the mathematics of Proportional Representation in the European Elections. I suggest you read Merrick's article (Vote Against The BNP) which explains why a Green vote is the best way of keeping out the BNP in many constituencies (as it will be the Greens and the BNP fighting over the final seat in some constituencies).
head-first
head-first
214 posts

Re: Vote Against The BNP
May 26, 2009, 14:32
Good stuff, thanks, Merrick.

My dad used to say that the real divisions in society were economic, not racial. That a working class person in the UK had more in common with a working class person in Poland or China, than with an aristocrat in their own country.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 26, 2009, 15:44
Not that I wish to provoke your blood pressure by reminding you about those idiots....

Nah, I've mellowed ;)

Mind you, someone told me something yesterday that got me going. Have you noticed what a ginormous number of road-killed badgers there are in some places? Maybe 10x more than foxes or even rabbits. Allegedly, gamekeepers are shooting them and tossing them on the road to cover the fact up...
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

May 26, 2009, 16:12
grufty jim wrote:
I'm afraid you've completely failed to understand the mathematics of Proportional Representation in the European Elections. I suggest you read Merrick's article (Vote Against The BNP) which explains why a Green vote is the best way of keeping out the BNP in many constituencies (as it will be the Greens and the BNP fighting over the final seat in some constituencies).

actually, voting UKIP will probably be the best way of stopping the BNP in most places!

But even then, voting for someone merely as a short-term 'stop someone else' strategy doesnt really have much legs. It wont minimise the BNP vote, it will merely stop it 'couting' (for want of a better word). the problem is, is there really anyone worth voting FOR?

I still can't decide who to vote for (Greens or No2EU or none of them), because the three main parties are all shitehawks, the Greens, lovely on paper, not much better than anyone else in practise, and No2EU are a bit embarassingly crap.

But without a positive alternative - one that doesnt side with bleeding tories when they get a whiff of office - then the rise of the BNP will continue, no matter who we vote for now to 'stop them'
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 26, 2009, 17:57
necropolist wrote:
actually, voting UKIP will probably be the best way of stopping the BNP in most places!

I know. The irony, eh?

I'd have great difficulty recommending a vote for UKIP though, even as an anti-BNP thing. Their rhetoric gets uncomfortably nationalistic for me.

I agree with the rest of your post though. Voting against the BNP is not a viable long-term solution to the problem of the fascist tendency, but it's probably worth doing in the short term until we work out something better ("bricks and baseball bats", perhaps, in the words of Woody Allen?)
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 26, 2009, 19:27
necropolist wrote:

It depends on who's coming fourth in your constituency.

Basically, Labour and Conservatives will take first and second. In most places, LibDems and UKIP will take third and fourth. Because of the way the mathematics works, it's whoever is vying with the BNP for fifth that really holds the key. Put an extra 3% of the vote onto whoever that is will make all the difference, whereas an extra 3% to the Conservatives won't make any odds.

As long as the BNP are beaten into sixth, they won't get a seat.

Voting for anyone who'll come 1st-5th helps that, voting for anyone who'll come 7th or lower is a complete waste of time.

necropolist wrote:
But even then, voting for someone merely as a short-term 'stop someone else' strategy doesnt really have much legs. It wont minimise the BNP vote, it will merely stop it 'couting' (for want of a better word).

I take your point, but stopping it counting means stopping them taking hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money. It's that funding of the BNP that I'm keen to see stopped.

I wouldn't really actively support any of them, though the Greens policies do make a fuckload more sense than any others i can see.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Vote Against The BNP
May 26, 2009, 19:29
Weirdly, I've just finished writing a piece about the UKIP leaflet that came through the door. The concluding paragraph is:

If I'm going to be fucked over by a greedy capitalist elite it's vital that the puppets they install to ease their path round here are born in the same country as me. I'm voting UKIP.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index