Stop Nick Griffin

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Stop Nick Griffin
May 24, 2009, 00:34
I wish they would surround me and try the same spiel.
Not a violent bloke at all, but, BANG! BANG! BANG!

Scum!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited May 24, 2009, 10:49
May 24, 2009, 09:43
I can see how some 'disenfranchised' may find them a bit tempting, but only ever those without much of a hope for themselves in the first place, and they tire easily.

But the BNP of course are a different prospect than the far right.
I wouldn't even compliment them by labelling them as 'fascists'.

Some may drift in and out, but their core seems to be the hybrid pit-bull owning got-my kids'-names-and-DOB tattooed-on-my-neck class.

Hitler had an Alsatian, yeah? And he was a vegetarian. More of a thoughtful sort from the outset.

Any self respecting fascist wouldn't spit on Griffin. Sure they'd use them all as fodder if need be, but afterwards they'd be no more than firewood.

As much as I query the motives of the flour throwing fraternity,, all the proposed cat poo parcels and the rest is in their case wholly justified.
x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 24, 2009, 20:52
That video on how the votes are counted is very illuminating and persuasive.
I had one of their scummy leaflets through the door, it would have been laughable if you weren't scared that people might actually vote for them.

And did you see the thing about "What would Jesus do?" on some of ther leaflets (the implication being that Jesus - JESUS - would vote BNP). You couldn't make it up.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 24, 2009, 21:01
http://freethinker.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bnp.jpg

Nice looking line of boys at the bottom don't you think?
I know databases aren't popular round here but they look like they oughta be on several registers.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

May 24, 2009, 21:20
British Nonce Party, springs to mind!
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 25, 2009, 02:13
Not ignorant or ill-educated - know your enemy!
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 25, 2009, 02:22
Stereo-typing like:
"Some may drift in and out, but their core seems to be the hybrid pit-bull owning got-my kids'-names-and-DOB tattooed-on-my-neck class"
..is really missing the point..
Your BNP-voter over the next 12 months, is just not going to fit this profile....
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 26, 2009, 16:11
May 25, 2009, 08:30
Indeed that's true.

They do stand a very good chance of pulling in some new people and not just in post industrial towns either and the last couple of years I have heard a few more people starting sentences with words like "I'm not BNP but ....". There are even people on this web site who have written about, for example, Muslims in this country as if they are a single, indivisible entity. Though that kind of thinking can extend to any minority.

That said the "but" is important. I don't see the far right getting past a basic stumbling block - that they are associated in most people's minds with a section of society that the new voters they need to rally would cross the street to avoid. If you follow me.

Post Edward Heath voting Tory for a lot of people is an aspirational class statement. MPs have to do a lot more than fiddle some expenses to separate the families who turned Tory under Thatcher from that attachment. Even the ones who switched to Blair are unlikely to lurch that far the other way,

Class snobbery and what Martin Amis called "Tramp Dread" run a lot deeper than Islamophobia. Of course you have to read between the lines of the Express and Mail to get that one. Islamophobia might be the headline. House prices are always the sub text. Just as it was in the 70s.

In the age of celebrity and reality tv how many celebs in the last 35 years have come out in favour of the far right in this country? Buster Motram (though celebrity is pushing it a bit in his case), Clapton and er .... who else?

Can you really see anyone with any clout or any of the Nation's Sweethearts, a John Terry, an Alan Sugar, a Cheryl Cole, a Ricky Hatton ever coming out in their support? Will never happen because we really have moved past all that crap and extemism is really bad for business. . Of course the far left will tell you that there is a fascist bogey man in the hedgerow, a Kaister Soze spook story, but then every yin has to have its yang. The far left has no meaning without its opposite number. Meawhile the Greens will continue to outdraw the BNP in a national poll.

BNP is at best/worst a protest vote (compare their 2004 European Election result with the General Election in 2005) and I would not be surprised to see their vote in June near 1m and then drop under 400k at the next GE. I would actually take it as a positive if short of 1m people are prepared to vote for them in this climate.

When it comes down to it people are looking for a safe pair of hands not a white riot. Cameron landslide not Bluewater Putsch or Night of the Steak Knives.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 25, 2009, 10:29
Thanks Nigel. It's even worse than when I saw it on the tv. I didn't realise they had full size bill boards of it. You'd like to think such a poster wouldn't last long in pristine condition.

(It reminds me of those 'Fight Prejudice - Fight the Ban' posters that you still bloody see round here sometimes. 'Prejudice' haha. as in "I'm not prejudiced, but..." What did they think, that their 'right on' enemies would think 'ooh no I can't be prejudiced - of course you can carry on fox hunting'. Not that I wish to provoke your blood pressure by reminding you about those idiots.)
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 25, 2009, 11:15
Indeed! Went to swanky posh private schools and did history and law at Cambridge.

Think beyond that how hard it's been to shift the National Front bootboy image to that of semi-respectable political party. He's clearly a very clever operator.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index