grin

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Mar 09, 2009, 15:37
Re: flying and poverty
Mar 09, 2009, 14:48
Ok, but it's the thought of her insisting her family 'go by train' as some sacrificial compromise to save the planet - almost comparing that to ditching your car to take a three hour bus journely to work - that really, really offended me. I don't know why that doesn't offend everybody.

And anyway, do you know how long she spent in Morrocco? Which hotel her family used? What they did whilst there?
Unless you do I don't think you can compare the cost of it to anything really.
The way I read it the three day train journey was just the means of getting there.

Now sorry to just be posting about this one lady but she does represent an organisation that will defend its right to blockade airports despite the human inconvenience factor, even if someone's missed their dad's funeral.

If taking another (resource gargling), rather opulent means of transportation for your mum's birthday celebrations isn't sending out mixed, contradictory messages then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Infact reading over your piece again you've just made that point for me.

**Much of the sane response to climate change is about reducing consumption. We're not kidding ourselves that it's going to be as sunny holidaying in Rhyl as Malta. But a lot of the reduction will be positive; relocalising means spending more time near where you live. Who wants to do more commuting?**

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index