grin
Mar 06, 2009, 10:20
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7927668.stm

;)
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: grin
Mar 06, 2009, 13:15
**She justified the "direct action" as the best way of bringing about change, claiming she and others were excluded from the democratic process.**

I doubt lobbing green custard at anyone achieves much really, but she got him sqaure in the chops anyhow, so entertaining, yes!

x
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 13:31
I wonder what his grandfather would have thought of him and all the other little carpet bagging yuppies who stole The Labour Party (and what all of Mandy's ex young communist chums think of him now too) =;o)
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 13:44
Oh, I say. Now that's just appalling.....
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 13:57
Mandelson was heard to ask "is that guacamole?"
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 14:09
LOL - nearly split my tea again

8)
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 14:17
shanshee_allures wrote:
**She justified the "direct action" as the best way of bringing about change, claiming she and others were excluded from the democratic process.**

I doubt lobbing green custard at anyone achieves much really, but she got him sqaure in the chops anyhow, so entertaining, yes!

x

As you say, achieves very little, utter waste of time
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2009, 16:04
Mar 06, 2009, 16:02
pooley wrote:
shanshee_allures wrote:

x

As you say, achieves very little, utter waste of time

a) It's a visceral reminder to Mandleson (and his ilk) that there are people SO incensed by what he does that they are willing to risk prison just in order to humiliate him. The protester could not have known that she wouldn't have been made an example of.

b) It generates publicity for -- and buzz about -- Plane Stupid. For every person like you pooley who pours scorn on such political theatre, there's a 17 year old proto-activist laughing and thinking: "cool". And this is the point, the kind of people who can be spurred on to occupy runways and take part in bigger actions are cheered and galvanised by smaller stunts like this.

c) It almost certainly made Mandleson feel threatened and uncomfortable for a short period of time, while also making the protester feel pleased and slightly more empowered.

d) It made me chuckle. Quite a lot.

So for those 4 reasons (and probably a bunch more) I'd argue it wasn't a waste of time at all. It's only a waste of time if you assume that all progress and achievement must be tangible and easily identified. But sometimes it's about the theatre of the thing. About publicly expressing frustration in a way that makes others take notice. About making people smile.

I'm not saying that everyone will smile at the image of Mandleson being covered in green custard. But I suspect many will.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 16:14
Hey anyting that makes a fool af those gits suits me fine.
Don't see green custard as particularly 'visceral' though;-)
Still better than violence for sure.
Just looks a wee bit Fathers4Justice though.
Over too quickly to be noticed much I suspect.
x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2009, 17:08
Mar 06, 2009, 17:07
shanshee_allures wrote:
Hey anyting that makes a fool af those gits suits me fine.
Don't see green custard as particularly 'visceral' though;-)
Still better than violence for sure.
Just looks a wee bit Fathers4Justice though.
Over too quickly to be noticed much I suspect.
x

Well, half a gallon of slimy custard tipped over me on a cold day would qualify as "visceral" in my book. It's the kind of physical, tactile experience that stays in the memory for a wee while.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that covering Mandleson in green custard will make this the best of all possible worlds. Or even that it'll make him rethink any positions. Just that one doesn't need to have an obvious effect in order to have an effect. Even if it's just a small one.

And if the protester succeeded in doing nothing else other than putting a wry smile on the face of thousands (though as I suggested, I think she probably did a little bit more than that) then it's far from a waste of time in my book. Certainly better than spending the morning on the couch watching daytime TV.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index