50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2006, 16:48
Re: Non-theism vs Theism for the lazy.
Dec 23, 2006, 16:46
handofdave wrote:

You do realize that this idea has just as much room for abuse? A rapist has his own ideas about morality. So does a suicide bomber. Or a child abuser.

As does religious morality; check aforementioned suicide bomers! Whether or not he's corrupting his own (or hers, women can and have been suicide bombers too!) religious scritpures, he's still beckoning some wisp of air or other and if that went, then perhaps there'd be no excuses there anymore. We never, ever will be able to govern badness in this world, we can only police it. It's the human condition.
I'd feel safer if there was no veil to hide your evil behind. All the secular loony dictators of the past have been pretty blatant about their intentions, but when you say its god's work you're doing, even the meekists nicest as pies followers won't dare speak up against what is painfully wrong to the rest of the world. That smells.

handofdave wrote:

The religious impulse is VERY old... you can't expunge it from the world so easily. Science is a validated belief system but it fails to provide what many people hunger for.. a sense of mystery.

People hunger for eternal life. Fair enough, but why can't we all have it? Religious followers enjoy and covet their exclusivity that way. If we're too weak or feeble to believe then we can jump, even if it's not our fault. That's a bit harsh, if he created us all. Personally, I fucking hate the idea.
Science a 'belief system'? Hmmm. We all know how creationists freak out at dinosaur bones and that.
I see many mysterious and wonderful things aruond me everyday. Animals, rainbows, mountains etc etc.
Perhaps we should just leave them too it, but the way in which the chips tend to be falling these days (and have been for centuries), perhaps a time out utilitairian approach is needed. Might be worth a go.
x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index