Non-theism vs Theism for the lazy.

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Non-theism vs Theism for the lazy.
Dec 24, 2006, 15:42
handofdave wrote:

Most of the world is religious.. and if you hate most of the world, that just makes you a misanthrope.

Even more of the world is made up of horrible spiders and insects and I detest them, does that make me a misanthrope?
Sorry, being a bit facesious there, couldn't help it!
I understand that many find comfort in religion, but in the most uber ironic way, I do 'pray' for them.

handofdave wrote:

Anyway, you seem to have a lot of faith in the idea that a world that shuns all religion is a better world. Perhaps it would be... but evidence based on past attempts suggests, at best, that a society without it just finds new ways to force control on it's population, often by even harsher and less 'human' methods than religion.

I know what you mean, The French Revolution is a great example of that, but it was the system of religious lead/based institutions the revolutionaries were fighting against. Something tells me that if there hadn't been the religious imperative in the first place, then the whole of humanity might be different.
But it was there, and it remains.
I still maintian that at its root, religion came about through the fear of death, and how to implement and control that to someone or other's advantage.
Would we have invented some other hierarchical system? Probably. But 'tyrannies' built on and controlled by secular philosophies tend to die out, and have at least more room for dissent, which ultimately leads to their demise. That at least creates the chance for civilisations to evolve.
More than anything, religion frightens me.
For the fact that humans deal with the concept of 'god' even less than that of death (they can bash tambourines and sing onward christian soldiers et.al 'til they are blue in the face, it's a fact), it's time it went.
How can I be a misanthrope if all I want is a better world?
Anyway, hope you have a great CHRISTmas! We've got too many visitors coming round too early as usual. That is probably the one thing that definately unites us!
x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index